Edwin Lemare and romantic organ music

Started by thalbergmad, Friday 03 April 2015, 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

Having recently had access to a church organ has rekinled my love for romantic organ transcriptions and the above chap wrote many as well as original works.

To me, Elgar and Wagner sound equally as good on the right organ as they do for orchestra, but i expect i might be in the minority here.

Organ music does not seem to get much of an airing here, so i thought i would try to ignite a discussion.

Thal

Alan Howe

QuoteTo me, Elgar and Wagner sound equally as good on the right organ as they do for orchestra, but i expect i might be in the minority here.

I'd say the opposite. I would very much like to hear what romantic-era pieces specifically written for the organ would sound like if orchestrated. For me organ transcriptions diminish orchestral music by reducing the tonal palette on offer.

Jonathan

I like organ music from time to time, Thal! 
Aside from 19th century pieces (both original and transcriptions), I have a soft spot for 16th century organ music played on ancient organs.  I don't know why but the sound is lovely.

Alan, there is a CD on CPO of Liszt's organ works orchestrated by various people, here is the link:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Franz-Liszt-Franz-Liszt-Arrangements/hnum/2961678

I don't have the disc but if it is as good as the others recorded in the same series (The Sound of Weimar, volumes 1 - 5) then it will be well worth a listen.

Hope this helps!

thalbergmad

How come that Alan still has the quote function and I don't ;D

I have never thought of the possibility of organ symphonies/compositions being being played by a full orchestra, but i guess it would produce some interesting results. I would struggle to imagine the Guilmant 5 sounding any better than it did when i visited St Sulpice.

Thal

Alan Howe

Of course, pieces written specifically for the organ by composers who know what they're doing sound pretty magnificent. There I completely agree!

kolaboy

Schumann and Gade wrote some fine, though seldom heard, pieces for organ - and in Schumann's case the pedal-piano, as well.