IRR in trouble?

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 02 April 2015, 22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

sdtom

that's what it sounds like to me also
Tom :)

mbhaub

Very sad news, but I suspected it was coming. For the serious collector there aren't many options left.

Gareth Vaughan

Very sadly, IRR has closed altogether and will no longer be issued. Which means we are left with the egregious Gramophone or the BBC Music Magazine, neither of which does what IRR did so splendidly. The industry dumbs down again!

Alan Howe

Oh dear. That's terrible news. What does one buy instead? Fanfare?

erato

Diapason seems the best option. It might even improve my french.

Alan Howe

Anything good in German?

Wheesht

I have never subscribed to Fonoforum from Germany, but I do read it quite often in a library, mainly for the CD reviews, which are arranged by genre.

Fanfare, of which I have been a subscriber for over twenty years, is a satisfyingly hefty tome and that's why I prefer it, and also because it often contains reviews of more unusual labels.

eschiss1

Fanfare used to regularly also have much longer, interestingly comparative, detailed, and thought-provoking reviews (William Youngren's long Wagner recording reviews come to mind, e.g. ...), becoming one of the subscriptions I kept around for re-reading for longest (most dog-eared/etc./etc.) though with decreasing space everything starts to have to go eventually...well... erm.  More recent issues I've purchased seem to be (figuratively) thinner in some important and unfortunate respects, but I haven't read it in awhile- what you write suggests I should look for more recent issues and see.

mbhaub

For US readers the best bets are American Record Guide and Fanfare. I've tried some of the online services, but they really don't compare: not that many reviews, slow to update. Musicweb-International very good, especially for being free (I should make a contribution!). Dumbing down is exactly where we are going. But then I still remember when Musical America was a BIG magazine and worthy of reading.

giles.enders

This is very sad news.  Surely someone could have continued to run it.  Where classical music is concerned there don't seem to be many philanthropists out there.

sdtom

Quote from: giles.enders on Saturday 04 April 2015, 10:10
This is very sad news.  Surely someone could have continued to run it.  Where classical music is concerned there don't seem to be many philanthropists out there.

I know you're right about that one.
Tom :)

Alan Howe

Could it continue online?

Delicious Manager

Does anyone remember Hi-Fi News and Record Review? It was my favourite review mag when I was young.

Alan Howe

Yes. But my favourite was Records and Recordings - who remembers that one?