Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 13 June 2009, 16:34

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Basically, Mark, despite the vote (and the low voter turnout), if you just activated the feature in the profile, those who wanted avatars (or photos) could have them, and those who didn't, wouldn't.  So, the only question is: if some people post their photos or icons, will it drive the rest away?

Mark Thomas

Sorry to be a pain about this Jim (and Kevin) but there's a world of difference between an avatar viewable in all posts and a photo just displayed on someone's profile. As I say, if I can find a way of including the option for a photo just in the profile, then I will, if I can't I won't.

JimL

What I'm saying is, that if you make the avatar/photo option available to everybody, then those who wish to take advantage of it, will, and those who don't, won't.  Usually, there is a blank silhouette in the posts of those who don't want to use it (like in FaceBook).  Either way, if you can't find a way to limit it to just the profile, if you simply activate the feature, those members who want an avatar or photo can have it and those who don't want it will still have the option not to.  Frankly, I think we closed the vote a little too soon, but even if the nays have it, don't you think that this is the majority imposing their will on the minority over what is essentially a rather trivial issue?

Mark Thomas

As you say, it's a trivial issue and I'm not going to spend much more time on it.

Alan Howe

I agree with Mark. There is clearly no real desire for this change - probably because it adds nothing of substance to the forum. Let's move on.