Waghalter Symphony: an appeal for info!

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 11 December 2012, 14:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Following a conversation today with David Green, Waghalter's grandson, I understand that the score of the composer's Symphony in B minor, Op.6 is lost. So, if anyone has any knowledge of its whereabouts, I'd be grateful if you could let us know. In addition, the full score of the opera Sataniel is also missing, so the same applies to that particular work.

Thanks!

John H White

I heard Mr Green on BBC Radio 4 around half an hour ago and have since been struggling with various spellings of Ignaz "Vinaulter" on Google to get some more information on the music. I've just noticed that I already have Waghalter's Violin Concerto on CD, obtained as a result of a recommendation on this forum!

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

What we need is some sleuthing to be done to see whether the Symphony can be found in some library, collection, etc.

eschiss1

does anyone have a copy of Hugo Leichtentritt's 1924 book on Waghalter, I wonder... perhaps it contains a mention of this.

Alexander Walker

Dear All,

I am currently researching this in the light of the success of the violin concerto and rhapsody etc.  However, so far, no luck in finding scores!  I shall keep you posted.

Alan Howe

Good of you to keep us informed, Alexander. We wish you luck in your search.

jerfilm

While surfing YouTube, I ran across this performance, said to be Sinfonia by Ignatz Waghalter performed by the Sinfonia Toronto.  In four movements, a short chamber like piece of less than 20 minutes.  Here's the link to the first movement.  The rest you can find easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktTzAI4XZeE

I'm curious about this since I don't see any mention of such a piece anywhere on UC.

Jerry

Richard Moss

Jerry,

I don't know if it helps but the notes for the 4th movement say this is an orchestrated version (by Nurhan Arman, who conducts the performance and who it seems uploaded this too) of his String quartet - this 'origin' isn't mentioned in the YT notes for the first 3 movements?!

I realise this doesn't help for any symphony proper.

Cheers

Richard

jerfilm

Ah ha, I didn't read far enough.  Thanks, Richard.  I was hoping it was a "find"...... ::) ::)

J