News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Camille Fontaine

Started by rosflute, Saturday 02 May 2015, 22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

rosflute

Hi
I'm struggling to find information about the Brussels flutist/composer Camille Fontaine [b. 1858].
Has anybody got any information they could share, please?

eschiss1

Also professor (possibly the M. Fontaine described as professor at the Anvers conservatory in some older journals Google trawls up, but on 2nd consideration I think that was a professor of bass singing named H. Fontaine?... so very difficult to research someone, even in my weak, poor way, when most of the hits turn up "La Fontaine". Not his fault... :) ...), apparently, and referred to rightly or wrongly as "M. Camille Fontaine, d'Ath" here (https://books.google.com/books?id=vhYvAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA67, from 1880). May have been alive as late as 1914 judging from some copyright materials that list him, and not a relative, as copyright signatory. Lorenzo and other sources give his place of employment as the Royal Theatre "de la Monnaie" during the early-mid 1880s.

Gareth Vaughan

You probably know this already but British Library has just one score:

Title
    Deux Morceaux pour flûte avec accompagnement de piano. Op. 31. Adagio cantabile, d'après une étude de Drouet. Op. 34. Pastorale.
Published

London : Schott & Co 1915

The Bibliotheque royale de Belgique has just one:

Gamme et exercices pour la flûte dans tous les tons majeurs et mineurs...
Fontaine Camille
Lemoine et fils, édit, 1888

rosflute

Thank you guys for the replies and thanks for looking,

I write an article about a forgotten composer for each edition of the British Flute Society Journal and, Gareth, it is the piece you mention, the accompaniment to the Drouet etude, that is the subject of my next article for the British Flute Society Journal. Worldcat lists a number of other pieces by him and one of them, also held in the British Library, is a very tedious piece! There does not seem to be anything much to be found out about Fontaine but, fortunately I can write plenty about Drouet instead!

eschiss1

BNF Gallica has the piano score (without part) to his berceuse in E major for flute and piano - see this link. Also a set of 6 morceaux published ca.1914 - see http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb42991343h/PUBLIC for the 6 individual links to the digital scans. Their collection also has the 1887-published Gammes et exercices and an 1881-published Theme and variations by the same composer, but not, I think, digitized as yet.