Kalliwoda Symphonies - Hurwitz gets it right...

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 15 May 2015, 22:43

Previous topic - Next topic

izdawiz

Very good analysis - I agree with Hurwitz sentiments. Kalliwoda's music is definitely not run of the mill stuff. Right from the moment I heard the 3 string quartets I knew he was a very good composer.  My favorite comment was how come Spohr's symphonies were played in he mid-late 19th century while Kalliwoda's weren't? Being that they are far superior in most on avg.   

eschiss1

do we actually know how many performances Kalliwoda's symphonies received in the aforementioned period? (I've tried searching the Leipzig Gewandhaus archive-search- as their orchestra seems the most likely to have performed his music - but maybe I need to use a different browser, it's not working with Chrome...) (Nope, not that either.)

Ilja

By coincidence I did a search in their archive for "Strauss" the other day, and it turned up no hits. Seems unlikely, so a technical problem, I'd say.

hyperdanny

I have to say that it was kind of a vindication hearing DH speaking so effusively of the Kalliwoda symphonies..i have them all and, along with a select others (Krommer, Mayer, Klughardt) , they are the Unsung music that are not just discoveries, however pleasant, no , it's music I play as often as the Big Guys'.
No kleinmeister at all, IMHO.
They're all very good to great, and in many instances, i.e. the 4th, they are that elusive thing, music that does not sound like anybody's else.
Right now I have the 3rd on headphones..it's just wonderful..and that slow movement!
i never quite understood the short shrift Christopher Fifield gave him in his excellent book...he seemed to imply the Kalliwoda never evolved, or even declined...I hear just the opposite (certainly in the context of a consistent, but personal, style)..opinions of course.
I love even the Ouvertures, a genre which I do not usually favor..they're like mini symphonies,