News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Julián Carrillo

Started by scarpia, Wednesday 20 May 2015, 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

scarpia

I am getting the chance to hear a live performance of his Symphony No.1 in D-major this summer. Leon Bostein again. What a cool guy he is to give us these fine rarities in live performances. Apparently Carrillo's famous for developing a theory of microtonal music which he dubbed "The Thirteenth Sound". I've never heard of him though. From what I see he wrote six symphonies and  three are microtonal.

Alan Howe

Very interesting indeed. Here's a performance of the symphony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqWJnRdP_Qw

jerfilm

Thanks for that, gentlemen.  Sounds like a lovely piece.

Jerry

Aramiarz

Julián Carrillo was a gifted violinist And composer. He wrote the 2 second mexican symphony (after Castro's symphony of 1883). The Carrillo's symphony was premiered in Leipzig Gewandhaus with great sucess! In Schumann's heritage with mexican elements!
Soon we will have one modern version of this fantastic symphony!

Carrillo borned in 1875, same year of Ravel, Gliere, Melartin, Max d'Ollone, etc

eschiss1

It was performed, I think, in 1912? 1915? in the inaugural concert of the "Kriens Symphony Club" (soon the American  Symphony Orchestra, which Botstein now conducts :) )- Carrillo was leader, Christiaan Kriens was conductor. (The descriptions in the news at the time said that the music was by the conductor, so I wasn't sure actually if they meant a symphony in D by Kriens- indeed also a composer, see IMSLP - or this symphony... but I'm guessing this one...) See New International Year Book.

Aramiarz

The first Symphony in Romantic style was premiered around 1901 in Leipzig. The Second Symphony (5 years later, moreless 1906-1907), never was performed Until our days. Happily Jose Miramontes Zapata is performance and recording in these days. He said me that the work is wonderful and has Brucknerian elements