Sgambati Chamber Music Box

Started by eschiss1, Monday 15 June 2015, 02:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

And we seem to have forgotten what the thread's about, Jim...

eschiss1

Unlike the ones he mentioned, though, it's been recorded fairly often. (Though a disc with Weber's clarinet quintet might be better coupled with the composer's less often heard piano quartet, imho. Which I've tried to play, back in my far-off viola-playing days :) )

Unless Kuffner's too early, now he's been mentioned I shouldn't mind starting a thread about his music anyway; he intrigues me. Lots and lots and lots of salon and parlor music, sure sure... but also a half-dozen symphonies, several concertos (including 2 for that aforementioned viola), etc. ... (another thread on Kaspar Kummer for.. ah, hush, Eric...)

Santo Neuenwelt

To Jim
I did not mention the Weber because it is basically a clarinet concerto with string accompaniment and I certainly did not think that would appeal to the Emerson. As for Marteau and Thieriot, well there is the concern of the marketplace. They are less known than Reger and Fuchs both of whom are at least late Romantic which is the genre as Brahms. Same goes Straesser. All worthy works. One could also have mentioned the Sigismund Neukomm, a good work with Schoene Minka variations in it, but again, the Emersons wanted a late Romantic work to pair with the Mozart and the Neukomm is not that. His works are, there are more than 1000!, are certainly worth investigating.

But back to Sgambati. We think his two piano quintets are the pinnacle of his chamber music. Op.4 seems more fluid, extemporaneous and less forced than Op.5 which apparently was the left over ideas he could not fit into Op.4. Both great works, in our opinion, though and a pity we have been unable to interest more players in them, but not for lack of trying...

Alan Howe

Yes, back to Sgambati....Please...