Unsung Tone/Symphonic Poems?

Started by monafam, Wednesday 07 July 2010, 04:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Unique would seem to imply that Raff was among the first or only to write preludes for orchestra. Smetana's several preludes date from the 1860s.

Alan Howe

Yes, but do consult the link I posted.

eschiss1

Alan Howe

My conclusion is that it doesn't matter at all what these compositions are called, but rather what musical processes are employed in them.

Kevin

Very interesting.  Thanks for the info.

Alan Howe

...in other words, the way to categorise these compositions is according to musical/structural criteria rather than their title/genre.

sdtom

Gulp, I was thinking about the Rott Hamlet tone poem which is new to us.
Tom

adriano

Did I ever mention Fritz Brun's early tone poem "Aus dem Buch Hiob" (1906, from the Book of Job, TT 18.00)? A valuable and well-orchestrated late Romantic piece... It's his first orchestral work as an "official composer". His First Symphony of 1901 was a Conservatory graduation thing.
I also recorded Emile Jaques-Dalcroze's "1914: Impression Tragiques" (a bleak and dramatic tone poem with choir), Pierre Maurice's "Francesca da Rimini" and "Heinrich Schultz-Beuthen's "Toteninsel"...
All these pieces have disappeard from concert programs since a too long time!

Anton Dewanger's "Méphisto" remains still unsung and unrecorded. I have digitized the rare 78rpm recording from my collection, conducted by the composer. It's just one of the many pieces (like Lazzari's "Effet De Nuit", which Plasson recorded two years later) Marco Polo refused to record at the time I was "working" for them. Dewanger also wrote an exciting "Symphonie Dramatique" for orchestra requiring an additional group of 8 Saxophones!!