Sherwood Double Concerto for Violin and Cello

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 19 June 2015, 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

I think this is a great project.  But as an old retiree, I am a bit saddened that the minimum gift for any kind of recognition is $80 US.  I don''t have any particular interest in being recognized in the booklet, but a copy of the CD would be nice- for,say, something in the $35-40 range.

Just a thought......

J

musiclover

Strange about the Cowen 5th because I am almost 100% certain it was recorded by the BBC Concert Orchestra in the British Symphony Series for Radio 3. Am I the only person with this recollection? I don't remember who conducted but it was either Yates or Wordsworth I think. Maybe it has not been transferred to disc,

Alan Howe

This is what was reported by a former forum member back in January 2011:

I keep badgering the BBC to schedule Cowen's Symphony No.5 (1887) which was recorded as part of the 'British Symphonies' series (2007/08) but has never been broadcast!

musiclover

The BBC must be sitting on so much stuff. Shame there are not so many people in the music department anymore who know anything really solid about music!

Gareth Vaughan

Very sadly, it would seem that insufficient funds were raised for this project to go ahead.

Alan Howe

It is sad indeed. The root problem, I suppose, is the very reason for the existence of this forum - namely, that unsung composers just have no profile in the wider public consciousness - even among those who are fairly knowledgeable.

I hope that the musicians involved will not bury the project for ever. Might Dutton be interested?

Gareth Vaughan

I think the Dutton policy is that artists who want to record such repertoire have to raise half the recording costs first.

Alan Howe