Bortkiewicz Piano Sonata No.2

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 05 December 2014, 23:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Just discovered a rather good performance of this, plus sundry other pieces, on a CD called "Russian Romantic Piano", played by Nadejda Vlaeva:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasury-Romantic-Piano-Nadejda-Vlaeva/dp/B001OD6HS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417821895&sr=8-1&keywords=nadejda+vlaeva
I know it's a cliché to suggest that Bortkiewicz sounds like Rachmaninov, but it's one that's very hard to avoid with regard to this sonata - which is a truly magnificent piece, by the way. Amazing to think that this wonderful, romantic music was written just twelve years before I was born...

Mark Thomas

Thanks for this, Alan, Bortkiewicz's Second Sonata is is a real gem of a piece, very well played, and a real must for anyone who loves his music. If you don't want the other pieces on the CD (by Medtner, Liadov, Scriabin and Rachmaninov), the Sonata alone is downloadable from Amazon here for a very reasonable £2.34.

DennisS

Have just listened to the sound bites of all pieces on this CD. Was particularly impressed with the Bortkiewicz sonata. Immediately placed my order! Many thanks for the recommendation.

Alan Howe

You'll love it, Dennis. The Bortkiewicz is particularly addictive.

DennisS

I have had my copy of the CD for about 5 days so far and have played it at least once every day. I am very pleased to have purchased it. I quite like all the pieces on the CD, including the old workhorse - Rachmaninov's Vocalise which I am very fond of, providing of course that I don't listen to it too frequently! - but the standout work on this CD for me is indeed the Bortkiewicz Sonata! It does indeed sound like Rachmaninov, especially in the opening movement and as per the liner notes, there is a thematic quote from Rach's second concerto. I was not overly aware of this specific quote but was left in no doubt whatsoever that I was listening to music which clearly at times sounded like Rachmaninov (and it goes without saying that I am a huge Rach fan!). Also in the liner notes - something I  missed initially - was the reference to a quote from Kalinnikov's First Symphony(another composer whose 2 symphonies I return to very often indeed!!!!). Picking up on this reference, I listened again very carefully and there it was at around 3:41 into the first movement and repeated again around 4:20! These references aside, the music is still very much Bortkiewicz! It really is a most impressive work, with moments of drama, lovely lyrical passages and most of all strong and memorable melodies, together with superb playing- a real find and I know I will listen to it often! Thank you Alan and Mark for your recommendations.

Alan Howe

You clearly have excellent taste, Dennis  ;)

DavidAlcock1000

Hi Just to say that I thoroughly enjoy Bortkiewicz's music and have managed to get the score for the 2nd piano sonata and I am learning that. Also just to flag up - but I am sure that everyone is probably aware of it - that Vlaeva's performance of the second and third movement is on You Tube. I can't find the First movement. Interesting to see her play it. I am in my final year of an MA which I am basing on Bortkiewicz so anything on the man and his music that could be useful will be gratefully acknowledged. There is so little info on him (got his Recollections) so am collecting stuff.
Best wishes to all
David

Herbert Pauls

Vlaeva was much praised for her Liszt a few years back by Alan Walker and it is good to know that she has formally recorded the Bortkiewicz Second Sonata. I find some of his music to be of extremely high quality and in a fair world, this Sonata should be standard repertoire. I had heard Vlaeva's youtube performance of part of the Sonata quite a while back and found it to be very fine, full of supple phrasing, and tonally alluring. I have the Trapman Bortkiewicz cycle (6 CDs) which has to be specially ordered from the Nederlands Muziek Instituut. Trapman is to be commended for his work on behalf of the composer and I found much to enjoy, even though Vlaeva is clearly superior as far as the sonata is concerned. There is also a cycle of the piano works by the Finnish pianist Jouni Somero (a student of Cziffra). I have only heard two of the discs (CDs 8 and 9, which unfortunately do not include the Sonata). He is a real colourist and, as one would expect from someone who has hung around Cziffra for a while, definitely has no want of virtuosity. This would be the cycle of choice, I think. His sonata should really be something.

And, to David, it is wonderful that you are devoting graduate studies to Bortkiewicz! Best of luck! You will enjoy the Unsung Composers forum. It is a great resource. I myself am relatively new as a member (although I have been a reader for years...)

Alan Howe

QuoteI am in my final year of an MA which I am basing on Bortkiewicz

Great to have you here, David - and good to hear about your MA. Welcome!

Rob H

As far as I know Vlaeva is recording a Bortkiewicz CD for Hyperion that includes as least one recently discovered work - there is a youtube performance of her beautiful playing the Mazurka op64-1 here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0PIgjKGtj0

Regarding Jouni Somero I am in two minds. Grateful of course for his championing of so many neglected works but after listening to his Blumenfeld CD conscious that there are mistakes and misreadings and cautious playing - not what I'd expect from a Cziffra student.
Rob

DavidAlcock1000

Many thanks Alan for your welcome. It is a very interesting site - I have visited before - but my interest in 19th C and 20th C composers is growing - particularly composers for the piano repertoire - so thought I would join and make a contribution if I can. Also, I have come across a rare LP of Bortkiewicz's works by Ulla Graf. I think it is still only available on LP but somewhere at the back of my mind I seem to think I have seen that there has been a reissue on CD. Would be interesting to hear as it was recorded in the 70's when Bortkiewicz had completely slipped off the radar. Also, the Mitchell recording of the Piano Concerto No 1 - I think this is a truncated version with some rearranging going on. Need to check the score but I am sure this is so.
In the meantime - pressing on with things Bortkiewicz.
Also, whenever I post something do I have to retype the letters each time (sometimes they are very difficult to make out) and answer all the questions. Second time it has happened so just need to know if this is the customary procedure.
David

Mark Thomas

Hello David, and welcome. No, you only have to run the gauntlet of the security test for the first few posts, and then you will be free of it. It's a pain, I know, but we have to guard against spammers and hackers, I'm afraid.

FBerwald

Hi David, The Mitchell recording of the 1st concerto is indeed truncated, more heavily in the 3rd movement which IMHO suffers the most, but on the whole it is a splendid recording. I'd like to add that The Hyperion recording was a bit of a disappointment for me [too much rubato and limpid!]. Much like the Moszkowski version which pales in comparison with some outstanding renditions eg. David Bar-Illan! I hope Bortkiewicz's 1st PC gets some more recordings.

DavidAlcock1000

Hi - yes agree with your comments. Interestingly, in my search for things Bortkiewicz I decided to look and see if he has ever featured at the Proms - and of course he hasn't. I am  going to contact the BBC Proms and suggest perhaps the Piano Concertos for a future hearing. Any of them, No 2 for instance, would be quite a lovely thing to hear played by Benjamin Grosvenor. Played by someone young, talented, with integrity and with a great following it would do wonders for Bortkiewicz's profile. Perhaps I should try and e-mail Benjamin Grosvenor too. He is an interesting pianist. I have heard him in recital - it was a very accomplished one - and most of the pieces found their way onto his cd Dances. What is interesting about him is that he searches out repertoire off the beaten track. He presents you with lovely surprises - e.g. the Scarlatti sonatas on his latest cd.
Best wishes
David

DavidAlcock1000

Hi
I need everyone's help again. I am looking for the liner notes to the Ulla Graf recording of Bortkiewicz's works. I have the two pages which are made available on a search for them on the www but they are not the complete notes - they break off mid sentence. If anyone has the full notes and could e-mail them to me I would be very grateful. Many thanks. My MA on Bortkiewicz moves on apace. David