Heinrich Marschner (1795-1861)

Started by UnsungMasterpieces, Monday 29 June 2015, 18:32

Previous topic - Next topic

UnsungMasterpieces

In response to JimL: If you're talking about Marscher, that's true. There's a recording of Marschner's Opus 4, the 12 Bagatelles for Guitar. The performer is Allen Krantz.
I'd consider the 1st and 3rd bagatelles to be the most enjoyable of them.

Speaking of guitar music: this month Brilliant Classics released the complete solo guitar works by Wenzel Thomas Matiegka. (7 CDs)
Unfortunately I don't think he's suitable for this forum, because the music sounds more Classical than Romantic to me.

Also, on what label was the 1981 performance of Der Templer und die Jüdin released? So far I've only been able to locate the 1951 performance.

UnsungMasterpieces

After a search on Spotify, I've found a fragment of Marschner's opera 'Heinrich IV und D'Aubigné'. It's a very enjoyable piece, with an attractive horn solo. It's called "Das jagdhorn schallt".
I've found a few other interesting pieces as well there over the course of last year:

-Das Testament: Im alten Fass zu Heidelberg (this is a small choral piece)
-12 Bagatelles for Guitar

Also available is a selection of Lieder.

eschiss1

Matiegka is best known for having written a work that Franz Schubert revised for performance and which used to be wholly attributed to the latter, a guitar and strings piece, I think.

UnsungMasterpieces

I noticed that just two days ago, an album was released containing several Lieder by Marschner, on the Centaur label.
It think they're all world premiere recordings, I haven't cross-referenced everything yet.