Heinrich Marschner (1795-1861)

Started by UnsungMasterpieces, Monday 29 June 2015, 18:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

The only Marschner piano quartet I know of is his Op.36 quartet, published not later than 1827. Was the other published during his lifetime?

Double-A

IMSLP has a second piano quartet (posted there in August of last year): op. 158, G-Major, published in 1853 by Johann Anxré, Offenbach.

UnsungMasterpieces

It's been a while since I started this topic, and I've been listening again to Marschner's Der Vampyr. At the end of the movement 'Wo kann sie sein?' there's an orchestral part that structurally and melodically reminds me a lot of a part with Alberich in Wagner's Das Rheingold.

Now, what I've found is that Wagner had conducted Der Vampyr in 1833.
That's several years before Das Rheingold, naturally.
I've also found that Wagner has quoted a theme from 'Hans Heiling' in 'Die Walküre'.

Now, what I'm interested in: has anyone else heard these parts of Marschner's work that are reminiscent of Wagner?
If so, then Marschner obviously had a strong influence on Wagner!

adriano

A strong influence indeed, as also Meyerbeer!

Alan Howe

I tend to think of Marschner as a sort of missing link between Weber and Wagner.

UnsungMasterpieces

I actually think quite the same!
I'll have to listen to Meyerbeer and Weber again to find that 'missing link' though.

UnsungMasterpieces

I just found out that last year the Neuburger Kammeroper performed Marschner's opera "Der Bäbu".
Of this opera only the overture is available commercially.

Santo Neuenwelt

Four of his piano trios have been recorded---Nos 2,4, 5 and 7. Have any of the piano quartets ever been recorded on disk or played in a radio broadcast?

eschiss1

No recordings of the quartets I can locate. Interesting that two of the trios are available in a fairly modern recording and two of them in a Symposium CD of recordings from 1947 and 1952...

UnsungMasterpieces

On the 24th of March there will be a performance of Marschner's 1st piano quartet in New York, alongside a piano quartet by Georges Alary. Apparently, Alary was a pupil of Camille Saint-Saëns...

eschiss1

Alary composed quite a bit of chamber music some of which we have at IMSLP.

JimL

IIRC, he also composed a number of guitar works.

eschiss1

Are we talking about Giulio Alary there?

Alan Howe

Perhaps Alary could be discussed in a separate thread...

redieze

an alter ego neglected to Lortzing and Nicolaï,a newecording of his overtures is issued by Naxos recently