Vienna Philharmonic Archives

Started by MartinH, Saturday 27 June 2015, 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

That's a pretty marvellous recording, Eric - thanks for the reminder. And didn't Zukerman do it in St Louis with Slatkin?

alberto

Even if they may be few there are other recordings of Elgar ("non Enigma") by non Brit conductors with non Brit orchestras.
For example Symphony n.1 with Zinman and Baltimore; In the South with Muti and La Scala Orchestra (the latter with La Scala toured In the South really in any continent- surely they played it also in Australia).

MartinH

And then there's that wild and wooly Elgar 2nd from Svetlanov and the USSR State Symphony Orchestra.

Ilja

As an exercise (I was working on similar stuff anyway) I entered the words "Edward Elgar" into Google Books ngrams, and I think the result speaks for itself. Of course there are all sorts of caveats, and the query only runs until 2000, but the difference is still significant, even if interest in Elgar appears to be growing across the board:

Since I was busy anyway, I also played around a bit with "Joachim Raff". Whereas in most languages the mentions of Raff stay more or less level in the years immediately before 2000, it seems that in the Germanosphere interest in his work has been growing:

alberto

If I remember well there was also a Russian Svetlanov "Dream of Gerontius".