News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Composers' descendants

Started by giles.enders, Monday 23 February 2015, 12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I don't think either of Mozart's sons left descendants.  I'm certain Franz Xaver didn't.  However, I think Mozart had some surviving daughters who may have.

eschiss1

Paul Freeman, conductor mentioned earlier in this thread, died July 21, I note unhappily.

UnsungMasterpieces

One question: Do cousins of composers count too? If so, then in the Mendelssohn family there's a composer named Arnold Mendelssohn (1855-1933). He was the son of Felix Mendelssohn's second cousin Wilhelm.

giles.enders

I am aware of Arnold but my interest is the relatives who are alive today, it is sometimes surprising that after several generations some have anecdotes and others much more including letters, manuscripts and other ephemera.  They can also be very useful when it comes to promoting their ancestors works.  I have eleven descendants of 'unsungs' I can call on and who are only too willing to help with promoting their ancestors works.

adriano

I am also acquainted with the nephew of Waldemar von Baussnern (1866-1931), whose (difficult) Symphonies I have studied long ago. Since no CD label ever showed interest (starting from Marco Polo), I gave up. Meanwhile there is a chamber music CD on the DG label and and organ piece on a "Transylvanian Composer's" Ars Musici CD...

eschiss1

we used to have recordings (broadcasts or LPs; it was awhile back...) of 2 works of Baußnern's uploaded here, I think. Ah yes. The 1898-ish serenade and the 1925-6 Symphony no.7.

giles.enders

Re; Baussnern, there is no explanation about why the eight symphonies were 'difficult'.  I am aware that he wrote some chamber music, perhaps this is where to start in generating some interest.  How many of the symphonies were performed.  Perhaps you might to start a new thread about him.

eschiss1

I'll see if I can get ahold sometime soon of one of two recent Baußnern biographies then (one on his life and works, one on his life and work-reception (actually, it's a whole big thing with life, works, reception, biography, and correspondence in 2 volumes- probably in the non-interloan "reference" section everywhere and aye, but might have a go; sounds kind of interesting and looks it from the Google Snippeties. "Willst Du aber vielleicht mein 2. Streichquartett haben?..." ). The latter collection, from 2003, looks like it may answer your question - on how many of his symphonies were performed- directly. (The 5th was... (Es ist ein Schnitter, der heißt Tod) - see http://www.hansknappertsbusch.de/AkademieKonzerte.html).

adriano

@giles.enders: the scores I've perused at that time were really difficult, especially as far as the string parts were concerned.