Méhul Symphonies 3, 4 & 5 (Unfinished)

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 22 July 2015, 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

As to performances of symphony no.4, apparently according to this (PDF) (hosted at the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment Blog) the -revised- version may indeed have been premiered in the 20th century after it was reconstructed from the somewhat conflicting parts and given its first 20th-century performance in 1981, as described at the link (which also describe the ways in which it uses cyclic form. Whether it's the first work to do so, I may doubt, though the way Méhul quotes the first movement's slow introduction inside the finale of his 4th, as described by the author of the blog post, is rather more subtle than Boccherini in his Casa del Diavolo symphony, e.g.)

Sharkkb8

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 06 March 2022, 14:29
There's an (expensive-ish) copy available here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QWQQ7VW/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk

Otherwise, I'd say the CD was deleted.

Terry Martyn inquired about the cd, but if a download will do, it's available from Apple Music here

hyperdanny

at the time, I bought it directly via Kapella19's website (still there?) , at a perfectly normal price........

Alan Howe

There's no facility to buy the physical CD from Kapella19 - merely a link to the download at Amazon.de

hyperdanny

I am sure you're right, but it must be a successive development.
Since memory can be faulty, I feared I was spreading falso info, so I did a little search in my archives and I still have the kapella19.de email from Feb 2017: I actually bought the physical cd from them, 21EUR shipping included, paid through bank transfer.

Alan Howe

I have the CD too. It's pretty clear that it's now been deleted.

terry martyn

Sadly,Alan, I think you are right, but thanks for your assistance!

Richard Moss

Around the end of last week I downloaded the album (from Amazon) and only realised AFTER I opened the ZIP file that it didn't include the booklet.  I contacted Mr Juteau, the conductor, via the e-mail contact given on the Kapella 19 web-site, and he very kindly supplied me with a copy.

Hoping to listen later this week once the builders (and their noise) have departed the premises!!

Cheers

Richard

terry martyn

Is it possible to have that email link,Richard,please?

Alan Howe

terry martyn

Thanks!    I have sent an email to the conductor.

Richard Moss

Terry,

Just a courtesy reply to 'ack' your msg as I see Alan's reply has worked out OK.

Cheers

Richard

PS The notes are by (IIRC) that well-known doyen of CPO authority, Bert Hagels

eschiss1

Hagels, btw, does deserve thanks, I think, for also preparing full scores and parts sets (for publication by Ries & Erler) of works which haven't been published at all or published and existing -only- in parts, many later recorded by cpo... (Wilms , Ries (2005 publication of the 7th symphony) and Kalliwoda symphonies, e.g., maybe Kramar also - his website has interesting notes about a number of those works. ) (Including, I think, poss. the first edition of Rott's first symphony? Not sure.)

terry martyn

Thanks,Richard

I have been very lucky, as the conductor has a handful of CDs left to purchase, and I have just bought one !!

jdperdrix

QuoteI have been very lucky, as the conductor has a handful of CDs left to purchase, and I have just bought one !!

I did the same. Mr Juteau answered immediately, I made a bank transfer and  got one copy of the CD for me and one for a friend.