Lalo: La Jacquerie

Started by mikehopf, Friday 24 July 2015, 01:47

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Lalo's rare 4 Act opera La Jacquerie is to be broadcast on Radio 4 Nederlands on Saturday evening.

Stand by your record buttons!

eschiss1

I don't think I've heard of Radio 4. Concertzender, yes... will have to look them up.
Does it say who the performers/conductor/orchestra will be? Is it live?

mikehopf

RADIO 4 NETHERLANDS
NETHERLANDS 192K MP3  96KMP3   schedule 
2:00PM Zomeravondconcert: Radio France and Montpellier Festiva
Lalo - La Jacquerie, opera in 4 actes  l
Koor en Orkest van Radio France o.l.v. Patrick Davin, m.m.v.:
Véronique Gens [sopraan, Blanche de Sainte-Croix]; Nora Gubisch [mezzo-sopraan, Jeanne];
Charles Castronovo [tenor, Robert]

Opname van 24 juli, Berlioz Opera, Le Corum, Montpellier (3 hrs.) 

Because you've never heard of it, does not mean that it does not exist!

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the heads up, Mike. It's also being broadcast live tonight on Radio France Musique.

eschiss1

"Because you've never heard of it, does not mean that it does not exist!"

I would be about 10th from last to claim such an inference applies (generally), despite my past-proven omniscience ;^).  Anyhow, thanks!

mikehopf

Mark Thomas

I've uploaded a recording of the broadcast. A quick comparison with the vocal score available at IMSLP shows that there is at least one cut - at the start of Act IV. There may be others which I haven't yet picked up, but the purely instrumental preludes and the ballet music are performed. On first hearing it is a strong work, given a typically good quality performance from Montpellier.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Going to go listen to it soon. Right now listening to a NPO 4 broadcast I downloaded a few months ago (from their own YouTube channel, a concert from last November) (of Bach and earlier music, some of it very much earlier), and wondering how it is that I thought I hadn't heard of the station.
Time was, I could hum the opening to this thread's title composer's first piano trio (the lovely C minor one) (well, no- the opening of the finale) on a moment, or less than that. Now, early senility :(

kootenay

Another broadcast (Same source) October 1 on BBC 3
On Thursday 1 October Katie Derham presents a rare opportunity to hear Édouard Lalo's opera La Jacquerie, recorded at the Montpellier Festival in July.

Alan Howe

I listened to some of the opera this afternoon, but I'm sorry to say I gave up for want of a decent tune - there seemed to be an awful lot of declamation to no great purpose. My fault, I expect, but there we are...

scottevan

Hearing the work for the first time since its broadcast, I tend to agree about the lack of a decent tune, surprising for a composer who gave us so many.

If you're able to make it to act four, however, the reward is a gorgeous final duet and a fanfare that's an earworm of the first order - and shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with a similar theme in Lalo's "Le roi d'Ys." That final act, by the way, has a setting and situation that's a little too reminiscent of "Les Huguenots."