East-Central European unrecorded symphonists

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 10 July 2014, 22:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Mykulh

Alan,
  Thanks for saving me from the job of checking on Napravnik. On your suggestion, however I added Ödön Mihalovich. Perhaps, I should put the whole list on a post as some seem to think that what you posted is my complete list?

Alan Howe

Hi Mike: I tried to exclude composers which don't belong at UC, so - unless you think I've left someone out who should be included in a list of composers of romantic symphonies - I think we'll leave the list I posted as it is.

However, I must apologise (to you and to Ilja) with regard to Napravnik - my memory was clearly faulty as he isn't on your list after all.

Mykulh

Napravnik is now on board. Additions to the list will appear online after next updates are submitted to MusicWeb International.

jerfilm

I may have missed this somewhere, if so, forgive me.  But some of the names listed here can be found on this YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIo2x4lsZwUA9O4YXa0uPGQ

For me, at least, this is a treasure trove of Serbian music.  Maybe as much as 1/4 falls within our remit......

Jerry

Delicious Manager

QuoteAh yes, right then, East-Central Europe, hmmm - any1 gotta map?

It's interesting what some people class as 'Eastern Europe'; most often equated with those countries behind the 'Iron Curtain' up until 1989/90. Interestingly, though, Prague is quite a bit further west than Vienna, while the central point of Europe lies somewhere in southern Lithuania.

Christopher

Or somewhere in Belarus, or somewhere in Ukraine - depends on the definitions of the westernmost and easternmost bits!   ;D

Alan Howe

Remember the definition is Mike Herman's own over at MusicWeb:

The composers covered in this discography come from a very culturally diverse part of the European continent. While they are geographically contiguous, they speak 11 different national languages that are written in 3 different alphabetic scripts (Latin, Greek and Cyrillic) and their majority religions are divided among 3 faiths (Roman Catholic, various branches of Eastern Orthodoxy and Islam). Included are composers who have composed symphonies that have been recorded born in or identified with the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey. The remaining countries in this part of Europe — Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Montenegro — are not represented as no recorded symphonies by their composers has been located.

Mykulh

Thanks Alan,
   My interest in history and geography  greatly exceeds and is of longer duration by far than my  interest   in symphonies and concertos. The title of this discography should cause no confusion to anyone who bothers to read the introduction.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Of the three countries mentioned, and after a quick check, I see that there's one symphonist (Aleksandër Peçi (*1951), of Albania) who's been recorded a number of times- his music, not his symphonies, I mean, as yet. Maybe people aren't defined as being Bosnian or Montenegrin unless they're born fairly recently (even though people are retroactively defined as Czech, e.g., who lived in times well before the term had any _political_ meaning at least.)

East-Central European recorded/unrecorded chamber music- wonder if Petar Stojanovic's (Regerian?) piano quartet, piano trio, violin sonata have been registered as yet...

Delicious Manager

What i find interesting and annoying in equal measure is the inconsistencies we place on the nationalities of composers from the past when maps of Europe looked very different. For example, Mahler is considered Austrian, although his home town is now in Moravia, Bartók Hungarian, though his home town now lies in Romania. Conversely, Mozart is considered from modern Austria even though in 1756 Salzburg was an autonomous region in a greater Bavaria. Mozart himself considered himself a German. Salzburg didn't become 'Austrian' until about 15 years after Mozart's death.

Alan Howe

OK, I think that's enough on the issue of geography. Let's return to the music using Mike Herman's clear definition.