Eggert Symphonies 1 & 3

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 25 August 2015, 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Well, unless someone re-masters the recording-release the E-flat had on LP. (Might already be available as a download from Naxos- they've digitized and uploaded quite a lot of LPs, mostly Europe-only I believe, including some performances already in our "downloads section", iirc- so maybe that one too, despite the work-overlap with the new CD... hrm.)

Syrelius

I have not heard the LP recording but I suspect the Sandviken Orchestra (which is not a professional symphony Orchestra) is no match for the Gävle Symphony Orchestra.

SevenOctaves

Hello all,

For my first-ever post to UC site, I just want to say it's an absolute pleasure to follow all the threads and conversations here. I've been an amateur musicologist for decades, but alas have few friends with similar musical tastes that I can share my passion with. You're a great bunch indeed!

Now for my point on the Eggert CD. Has anyone noticed the "Moors" overture is almost exact, note for note, to Salieri's "Axur, Re d'Ormus" overture? Eggert's has a different ending, but other than that it's a thorough lift from Salieri. I can't find any reference to the duplication anywhere I've looked, and the only reason I caught it was my memory. It's driven me crazy for days trying to figure out how I knew the tune until I finally stumbled across the "Axur" in my collection.

Anyway, that's all I have for the moment. By the way, I'm eagerly awaiting the David "Herculaneum". Should arrive today.

eschiss1

I notice that http://www.worldcat.org/title/symphony-in-sweden/oclc/715300374 (The Symphony in Sweden, from Garland Publishing, ca.1982) has a "Overture in E-flat (3)" by Eggert. Is this his Symphony in E-flat under another name, or another work?

SevenOctaves

My assumption would be the E-flat Overture is a different work, though the only solid reason I can site would be the nomenclature. By Eggert's lifetime the dual use of the term "overture" was finished. Seems a bit too "old fashioned" for a symphony to be called an overture in 1807, when the E-flat symphony was written. But like I said, it's just a hunch.

eschiss1

(I think I'm just being lazy, since I think the university library probably here -has- that book as they do so many other Garland Symphony volumes, I just haven't been there in some time. One of these days I'll go up there and check, and compare it to the recording I do have of the E-flat- assuming the recording I have is of the symphony, as claimed, and not of the overture (... that happens too. Formally, the work I have, from the LP I think, looks like the Naxos work, an introduction and fugue...). It doesn't circulate or I'd just ask to interloan.

Syrelius

John France gives a very enthusiastic review of the Naxos disc, calling the C major symphony "a masterpiece":
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Oct/Eggert_sys_8572457.htm

Alan Howe

I think that's an exaggeration, but it's good not to have unfamiliar music simply dismissed out of hand.