Performance of Catoire Piano Trio Opus 14

Started by pedrito, Thursday 01 March 2018, 14:12

Previous topic - Next topic

pedrito

Hi everyone,
next week, march 10th, I will be performing the piano trio opus 14 by Georgi Catoire (1861-1926) in a concert also featuring the first of Johann Nepomuk Hummel's piano trio's and the Fantasiestucke opus 88 by Robert Schumann. I have studied like a maniac on this very difficult but incredible piece of music, and wish this music would be more known (and performed !). The piece is in three movements, the first opening with a broad and dark theme, giving way to a dreamy second subject. As in many of Catoire's chamber pieces, the use of sonata form is quite complex, but the handling of the architecture of the piece is second to none. the second mouvement, "allegretto fantastico" is in a A-B-A-B' form, where the B part takes the place of an (absent) slow mouvement. The finale has an enormous forward drive, and ends in a cataclysmic outburst before - typically for Catoire's modesty- he ends with four pianissimo notes in the piano.
I have time and again tried to explain what makes his music so appealing, but I end up in describing Catoire's excellence in every possible aspect of composition: beautiful elegiac and memorable melodies, very interesting harmonies and colors, nice orchestration between the instruments, complex but lively rhythmic patterns, and incredible command of structure and architecture.   
I really look forward to share this beautiful music with as many people as possible. The concert is held in my own living room by Fedra Coppens on violin and Lucie Stepanova on cello, two incredible musicians whom I am happy to call my friends.
Sadly this incredible piece of music has only known few commercial recordings, one in the '40s by Leonid Kogan, Mstislav Rostropovitch and Alexander Goldenweiser, and one by "room music" on the hyperion label. Room for some more I dare say !

eschiss1

There also seems to be a 3rd commercial recording on Sarton Records just released last year.