Holbrooke from Dutton

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 12 July 2010, 12:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

I wonder if there is anything specifically Welsh about the Concerto,beyond the subtitle? Does Holbrooke use any Welsh songs or tunes? Is it just inspired by Wales? Did Holbrooke actually write it IN Wales? Come to think of it,did he ever visit the country after,c.1920? Of course I'll find out soon,won't I?

albion

According to the very helpful people at Dutton, the wonderful new July releases (Holbrooke, Foulds, etc) are expected shortly from the factory and should be available some time towards the middle/ end of next week. I can hardly wait!

albion

As the rain drizzles from grey clouds, a thud is heard on the doormat - Foulds and Holbrooke direct from the wonderful people at Dutton. Professional performances of a concerto, an orchestral fantasy and a symphony by Holbrooke - what a great day in prospect!  ;D

Pengelli

And here too. No doormat,though. (Must get a new one!). Still think I'm dreaming this...a cd of Joseph Holbrooke in professional performances? I shall have to avoid pinching myself,just in case!
  So far,very, favourable impressions. As i have always felt the 'Cockney Wagner' label was just a cheap jibe; Holbrooke's influences are wide. I particularly liked Rob Barnett's comparison of parts of the slow movement of the Cello Concerto to the sound world of Bernard Herrmann.

Pengelli

...and I don't mean 'Psycho'!

albion

What a wonderful disc - and a great appendix to CPO's excellent initial foray which concentrated on Holbrooke's early period. The composer's middle- and late-period style is even more elusive and quixotic, and repeated listening is essential.

The performances are first-rate, as is the recorded sound - incidentally, there is a fantastic 'match' between two different orchestras in two different venues, no mean feat. Some first impressions: The Pit and the Pendulum is a riot for the orchestra - a piece clearly from the same stable as Amontillado (CPO), it does ramble somewhat but Holbrooke's orchestral wizardry holds the attention. The Cello Concerto is a very substantial piece (beautifully played by Wallfisch) with many characteristically abrupt changes of mood and colour - in the booklet notes it is curious that Rob Barnett does not mention that the slow movement is built upon David of the White Rock.

The Symphony is fascinating - I thought during the first movement that I had switched discs subconsciously and was listening to Marriner and the ASMF in Brian Newbould's realisation of Schubert's 8th! This is a truly bizarre composition, but one which will bring a wry smile to Holbrooke's many fans. The remainder of the Symphony is more like the composer we know and love - wonderful woodwind (especially flute) solos in the middle movement and a return to the Schubert theme harmonically transformed right at the end of the work.

Pandora is well-crafted light music, nothing more and nothing less - but sumptuously orchestrated and performed without condescension. A truly great addition to Holbrooke's growing representation in the catalogue, with George Vass drawing superb performances from both orchestras.

Pengelli

'Dafydd Y Garreg Wen'. And there I was,(before receiving the cd),wondering whether there was anything specifically Welsh about the Concerto,beyond Holbrooke's more obvous connections with Wales. This is what happens when you cook,pack shopping away & do the laundry,while evaluating a new cd of unfamiliar music! And I'm a Dafydd,myself! But not,I should point out,of the White Rock.
   I like 'Pandora',actually. Parts of it make me think that Holbrooke would have made a rather good Movie composer,(very Hollywood). He might even have made a few bob,although,probably not much. Just enough to keep the old wolf from the door.
    Incidentally,does anyone here know whether Holbrooke was ever offered an opportunity to compose for films? Or,whether it would have been possible for him to do so,if he had wanted to. I suspect Holbrooke may have thought that kind of work a little beneath him.

Pengelli

Mozart's 'Requiem' now with Grace Bumbry!! More Holbrooke later....

Alan Howe

Yes, this is a thoroughly worthwhile disc - a substantial and highly enjoyable late, late-Romantic cello concerto in particular. And this time Dutton have used full-sized orchestras (RSNO, RLPO) instead of the under-strength BBC Concert Orchestra.

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 26 July 2010, 19:24
the under-strength BBC Concert Orchestra.

What they may lack in numbers, they certainly make up for in commitment, expertise and sheer panache, as evidenced in their many truly outstanding Dutton discs of Edward German, Richard Arnell, Montague Phillips, Vaughan Williams, Parry, York Bowen, etc., not to mention the excellent new John Foulds recording!

Alan Howe

But the problem is obvious: they simply don't have sufficient weight of tone for the late-Romantic repertoire. Dutton should have used the RSNO or RLPO.

Gareth Vaughan

I am really pleased that so many people on these forums are now discovering the joys of Holbrooke's music. When well-played and recorded, with commitment and understanding I think he emerges as a composer with a thoroughly individual voice - not quite in the front rank, but utterly unworthy of the dismissive remarks made about his music for decades by ignorant persons, most of whom had not even bothered to look at the scores of the works about which they were content to be so pejorative.
I have no doubt the CD of the Violin Concerto, to be recorded by CPO this autumn, will be equally enjoyable.

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 26 July 2010, 22:59
I have no doubt the CD of the Violin Concerto, to be recorded by CPO this autumn, will be equally enjoyable.
What a truly fantastic prospect, hopefully coupled with the 3rd Symphony.

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 26 July 2010, 22:13
Dutton should have used the RSNO or RLPO.
No doubt any shortfall in the requisite funding for recordings by these major orchestras, taking into account their busy seasonal concert schedules (and assuming that they are falling over each other to play such sure-fire repertoire), could be readily supplied by members of the forum.  ;)

Pengelli

Indeed a composer with a great degree of individuality. I enjoyed every single work on the cd. I can't think of one moment I was 'drumming my meaphorical fingers',and thinking,'Oh god,how long is this going to drag on?' Indeed,quite the opposite. I was fed up when the cd came to an end. Also,despite his adherence to 19th century,early 20th century late romantic sensibilties,there is allot of variety in his music. In fact,I find the scope of his music wider than that of Granville Bantock,fine composer that he was. Furthermore,unlike Bantock,Holbrooke's later music appears to have moved away from that of some of his 19th c models,towards a leaner and more refined sound world,closer to some of the French masters than composers like Wagner or Strauss,who neglected romantics like Holbrooke,are usually saddled with.
    Having said that; regarding one of my previous posts. I was actually referring to the slow movement of the fourth symphony,not 'Pandora'. (Like I said,I was very busy,at the time!)This, gorgeously orchestrated movement, so good,I'm sure it could be enjoyed on it's own,actually made me think of Korngold,another severely underated,but better known composer,whose music has also suffered,over the years, from the same cruel,ignorant jibes.   

Gareth Vaughan

The slow movt. of the 4th is an absolute gem. And you are right about the later works - after the opera "Bronwen" Holbrooke seems to have moved towards a more neo-classical style of writing - albeit that would not describe Pit and the Pendulum, but that piece derives much of  its material from an earlier composition: the Ballet-Opera "The Wizard" Op. 65.