Hyperion : The Romantic Violin Concerto, Vol. 9

Started by FBerwald, Monday 12 July 2010, 19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

After a somewhat disappointing NOt to mention colourless and unadventurous previous releases in the romantic concerto series (Piano vol 50 and vol 8 Violin >:() Finally its here ... the reason why we fell in love with hyperion! Volume 9 - The Romantic Violin Concerto - Ferdinand David - Concertos 4 , 5 and an Andante and Scherzo capriccioso, Op 16 !!! Bravo.
Dont know if any of these are premier recordings.............anyways... WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!

Alan Howe

JimL

Me too!  The clips sound fantastic!  I like David's virtuosic style, and he definitely has a melodic flair!

P.S. Let's not get too down on Hyperion's Violin Concerto Series.  I think they scored a hit with the Stanford and Hubay 1 & 2 (although I don't recall if the latter were premiere recordings or not).

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Monday 12 July 2010, 23:46
Me too!  The clips sound fantastic!  I like David's virtuosic style, and he definitely has a melodic flair!

P.S. Let's not get too down on Hyperion's Violin Concerto Series.  I think they scored a hit with the Stanford and Hubay 1 & 2 (although I don't recall if the latter were premiere recordings or not).

The Hubay were premiered on Hungaroton, in a set of all four.
Eric

Alan Howe

And the Hungaroton set is arguably the best on the market!

peter_conole

Hi all

Just turned the computer on. I have taken my second sedative since reading the glad tidings.

Who would it thought it. Alan and Mark, are you in tears? Remember the huge threads about the German violin concerto as a musical form on the old Raff forums? About 8000 hits as I recall. 

Maybe a few folk out in music land have been reading carefully and taking notice after all.

I know how you might respond Alan and I agree. This is a huge break through -but the great gap lies in the time zone of Reinhold Becker, Gernsheim, Huber, Hiller, Damrosch, Brull (complete), Jongen, Bazzini and a myriad more from the period c1860-1900.

regards
Peter

Alan Howe

You are right, Peter: that is my view. I welcome the opportunity to hear the David VCs, but I don't think we're going to find any great music in them. I'm still waiting for the VCs of unsung 'proper composers' to be recorded...

JimL

Maybe the music isn't "great" but it's a damnsight better than Ernst!

Alan Howe

That's not saying much! But you're probably right, Jim.

Mark Thomas

Yes, Peter, it's excellent news indeed. And I'd like to think that David proves to be a cut above many viruoso composers because of his close association over many years with Mendelssohn and Moscheles. We shall see.

Gareth Vaughan

I don't know VC No. 4, but I have a copy of the piano/violin score of No. 5 which, I must say, strikes me as very attractive.

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 14 July 2010, 12:48
I don't know VC No. 4, but I have a copy of the piano/violin score of No. 5 which, I must say, strikes me as very attractive.
It's available on IMSLP, too, I think.

peter_conole

Hi all

An earlier reply got lost in cyberspace yesterday. Dear me.

Whatever, I can confirm that the recordings of the David concertos nos 4 and 5 will be world premieres. Good compensation for unforgivable neglect in the 1900s.

David was a major figure in European musical life - not just as a violin virtuoso, because he taught at the Leipzig Conservatory for years from 1843 (Joachim and Wilhelmj were among his students) and was Mendelssohn's guide and advisor when the latter's great e minor concerto was being composed. And its first performer.

I have heard the number 5 played through (violin solo, then later with violin and piano) by a couple of fine semi-pro musos and can confirm its appeal. The standard texts (Toskey, Emery, Swalin) all enthuse over the work.

I suspect the recording will be the greatest - and most unexpected - 'unsung hero' musical windfall of the year.

regards
Peter 

Alan Howe

I suspect that the music will prove underwhelming - but I hope I'm wrong.

JimL

Well, Alan, you've heard the same samples I have.  Are you underwhelmed so far? :)