Fritz Brun's Cello Concerto

Started by adriano, Tuesday 29 September 2015, 11:07

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkFendrich

QuoteHope you appreciate the more important aspects of my posting as its description...

I've seen your video of Brun's cello concerto - it is a fantastic work. I am looking forward to get the CD recording soon.
Claudius Herrmann gives a really committed performance, and I have always been fascinated by his recording of Reinecke's cello sonatas (with Saiko Sasaki  on cpo).

Alan Howe

Agreed. Claudius Herrmann is a superb player.

adriano

Thanks very much - will let him know :-)

Sharkkb8

My email Guild newsletter just arrived with the availability announcement (first I've seen, anyway) of the Brun CC. 

http://www.guildmusic.com/shop/wbc.php?sid=47974843a45&tpl=produktdetail.html&pid=17301&rid=261&recno=3

Gregory

Alan Howe

I'm glad you posted this, thanks! A must-buy for me.

adriano

Oh, nice to hear that, thanks - since Guild are ignoring me. I haven't got a single artist's copy yet and they never told me the exact release date :-(

Alan Howe

The CC is quite a challenging listen - until one gets to the slow movement, which is absolutely sublime. Brun's music may often be 'knotty', but the rewards of patient listening and re-listening are many...

Alan Howe

...and the finale's a magnificent piece of work in a post-Brahmsian idiom.

Alan Howe

...and I've just been blown away by Brun's 9½ minute-long Verheissung for mixed choir, orchestra and organ of 1915. The nearest thing I can think of to compare it to would be parts of Brian's Gothic.

Bernadett Fodor is also very good in the very subtle Fünf Lieder which Adriano has arranged for string sextet. Very nice indeed.

adriano

Oh, immense thanks, Alan
This causes me a three-times blush in crescendo :-)
Just coming from a rehearsal of my (latest) arrangement of Debussy's "Trois Ballades de François Villon" (a masterpiece!) for (medium voice) with flute, clarinet, harp and string quartet. The original is for large orchestra. I use the same instrumental group (Ravel's "Introduction et allegro") for my previous arrangements of Debussy's "Faune" and Ravel's "Tzigane" - and a pocket version of Dvorak's "Rusalka"...