The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 51 – Taubert & Rosenhain

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 14 July 2010, 04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I've just listened to these three concertos. What delightful works! For me, at first hearing, Taubert's First is the stand-out work, for all that it's debt to Mendelssohn couldn't be clearer (or maybe because of it). Not to denigrate it in any way, but it's a very pretty piece. His Second is also a good listen, but the gestures seem rather more mannered and the melody, of which there is plenty to be sure, doesn't quite have the freshness of the other work. Mind you, there were forty years between them and Taubert's idiom didn't change much in all that time. The Second must have sounded very old fashioned when it was premiered, but that needn't bother us too much now. The Rosenhain is another mellifluous work, just slightly darker here and there than either of Taubert's pieces and with a very jolly finale. I'm not sure how much staying power these works have, but they are well worth reviving on CD and I'm looking forward to another listen later in the week. Thoroughly recommended.

Now on to Dutton's Holbrooke offering...

FBerwald

Hyperion has started the teasers for the next vol already Volume 52 Goetz and Wieniawski. I'm very sure I'm going to like this better than Vol. 51 (No offence.. BUT lately most of the RPC releases have been of the classical-romantic type...where as I can't wait to hear their purely romantic offerings like the past Scharwenka, Brull, Stojowsky, etc ).

BTW : the recording features of Goetz's 2nd concerto!!!

giles.enders

There is a third Stojowski piano concerto and another extensive piece for piano and orchestra both in manuscript.

FBerwald

Quote from: giles.enders on Wednesday 28 July 2010, 11:51
There is a third Stojowski piano concerto and another extensive piece for piano and orchestra both in manuscript.

WOW. More info pls!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gareth Vaughan

The Stojowski 3rd PC has a page or two missing just before the end. However, I have no doubt these could be reasonably faithfully reconstructed.
There is also a late Concertstuck in MS by Brull, a copy of which I have. Here there is one page missing very near the beginning. Once again, it could be quite easily reconstructed.

John H White

<<If you want to take a punt at something in the Mendelssohn vein try the 5th symphony by Gade - it has a delightfull part for solo piano - infact it is all but a piano concerto:-)>>
I'm afraid I find this the least satisfying of all Gade's symphonies. It's neither one thing nor the other. I don't think the piano blends in well with the other instruments of the orchestra, it works much better as a solo concerto instrument.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I hope that his wife liked it, then. He wrote it as a wedding present!

eschiss1

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 28 July 2010, 22:04
I hope that his wife liked it, then. He wrote it as a wedding present!
Offtopic in a way but I do prefer the 6th which he wrote as a memorial...

FBerwald

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 28 July 2010, 14:39
The Stojowski 3rd PC has a page or two missing just before the end. However, I have no doubt these could be reasonably faithfully reconstructed.
There is also a late Concertstuck in MS by Brull, a copy of which I have. Here there is one page missing very near the beginning. Once again, it could be quite easily reconstructed.

I have been looking on the net for more info or an article? on this BUT nothing. Its almost driving me crazy.
Couls you post the url ...... when was this written, key, etc. Please!!

Peter1953

A late response and most likely very old news. I only like to share some thoughts, and I'm sure that not all of you agree with me.

After repeated listening my first opinion hasn't changed. I like both Taubert's (the slow movement of his 2nd is beautiful), but they are not that special, and the Rosenhain, well, it's 'one of those'. Just like the Benedict's, and many others (not only in the RPC series). Entertaining, but the music gives me neither excitement nor surprises. It's musical language has been said many times before. Delightful music, but...  not original.

This sounds negative, but please don't get me wrong. I'm very grateful to Hyperion. Labels like Hyperion have the guts to release very unsung repertoire, not seldom first recordings, and can only hope the release turns out to be a commercial success. And I'm happy to learn all these (very) unsung music. But it makes me realize again that there is (IMHO) an enormous gap of quality, originality and depth between the piano concertos of so many composers of the Romantic era and the great works of Chopin, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms and Tchaikovsky. It must be one of the reasons that most of them are forgotten now.

Which unsung Romantic PCs are really original? Are there hidden gems? For me, within Hyperion's RPC series, the Henselt. I was also surprised by the concertos of Litolff. And certainly Moscheles's 3rd and Scharwenka's 4th. Rubinstein's 4th with its sensitive, ominous opening? O yes, but definitely not the Hamelin version. And I love Raff's PC with all its memorable themes and the gorgeous Gernsheim (that PC isn't even commercially available!). Their concertos really make a difference. But I realize that this is a very personal opinion.

I wonder what all those average composers would have thought of their own musical output. Did they simply accept the fact that they would never reach the same level as Mendelssohn or Brahms?

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI have been looking on the net for more info or an article? on this BUT nothing. Its almost driving me crazy.
Couls you post the url ...... when was this written, key, etc. Please!!

You may find the following URL helpful: http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/

The 3rd PC is held in the Zygmunt and Luisa Stojowski Family Collection (Archive) at the Polish Music Center.

thalbergmad

Quote from: Peter1953 on Tuesday 17 August 2010, 21:24

Which unsung Romantic PCs are really original? Are there hidden gems?

With the huge amount of concertos that have been recorded, I guess we are going to find it difficult to find originality. As for hidden gems, I think yes.

I simply cannot wait for a commercial recording of the Rozycki which i am sure will be a hit. It will always be in my personal top 5.
The Borowski is similar in parts to Borthiewicz which should appeal to many and the Abbiate is another huge dramatic late 19th century type concerto.

For the earlier romantics, the Dohler is a little tour de force and I have a Potter on my piano that is looking promising.

Great fun is to be found in the numerous works for piano and orchestra by Czerny and there is bravura by the ton in the Hopekirk Concertstuck and the Jaell Concerto No.1.

There will something for everyone in future releases, and I am sure Hyperion is not even at the half way stage, but if you are looking for Chopin/Brahms level, there will be some disappointment.

Concertingly.

Thal

Peter1953

A coupling of Rozycki's op. 43 and Wieniawski's op. 20 would have given us some exiting Polish entertainment. However, as we already know another version of the Goetz, see http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67791&f=romantic piano concerto

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteA coupling of Rozycki's op. 43 and Wieniawski's op. 20 would have given us some exiting Polish entertainment.
But that would have deprived us of the second Rozycki PC and his Ballade for piano and orchestra. All three works would fit nicely onto one CD, and I am hoping that Hyperion will record them all one day.

Borowski and Abbiate? Yes, please. Novacek, d'Erlanger and Boise too, I hope.