News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Wagnerian Unsungs

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 12 October 2015, 11:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

As I was listening to Georg Rauchenecker's very Wagnerian Symphonisches Tonwerk im Stil einer Ouvertüre (1880) I was wondering if friends here could think of any earlier pieces that could be described as thoroughly Wagnerian?

eschiss1

Since no one has jumped in and answered Liszt's Faust-symphony, I'm going to say I'm not even sure I really understand the question :)

Alan Howe

What I meant was pieces of musical clearly influenced by and audibly in the style of Wagner.

We can now add Cliffe 2.

adriano

Well, in 1999 I recorded a Marco Polo CD with the complete orchestral works by Swiss composer Albert Fäsy (1837-1891). Wagner-influenced music, but still very personal and, in a way, experimental. Some passages are foreboding minimal music techniques. Excellent use of the orchestra palette and curious dissonances. His dramatic suite for large orchestra "Columbus" is quite an original idea for that time. His tone poem "Der Triumph der Liebe" is also quite a valuable piece. The disc also contains the Overture "Götz von Berlichingen" and a battle piece on the Swiss  battle at Sempach. It appears that Fäsy and Wagner knew eachother, the Villa Wesendonck is about 500 meters away from the house Fasy was living. All scores were recopied and edited from original mauscripts into new scores with orchestra material. I was not too enthusiastic about the sonics and tried to organize some post-improvements, but Naxos showed absolutely no interest. In the meantime, the CD is no longer available.
http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.225134

Alan Howe

britishcomposer