News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

William Vincent Wallace

Started by JimL, Friday 30 October 2015, 19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

In looking for some suitable music to post on my FB page for Halloween, I came across the Amber Witch Overture (1861) by the Irish-born vagabond composer William Vincent Wallace.  Besides his operatic output, he also composed quite a bit of virtuosic piano music and, I also see a violin concerto (Souvenir de New York) and a concertino for same.  Is there any chance either of those two scores (apparently the only known orchestral music by him known to Wikipedia) are still extant?

JimL

After reading a plot synopsis of the opera, I think I'll stick with my original choice: Marschner's Der Vampyr Overture.

Alan Howe

And I'm opting out of this unnecessary festive import altogether. What was wrong with Bonfire Night and Guy Fawkes?

mikehopf

There are no ghosts, vampires, witches, spiders or pumpkins associated with Bonfire Night but what a plethora of classical music ... apart from pumpkins, that is.

mikehopf

There is a three act comic opera called " Englishmen in India" by William Dimond published in 1840 which features Guy Fawkes. I believe it's a real cracker of a work!

Mark Thomas

I'm sure that any performance would go with a bang, Mike.