Griffes Three Poems of Fiona Macleod

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 September 2018, 22:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...feature on a new recital by Australian heldentenor Stuart Skelton:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shining-Knight-Asher-Stuart-Skelton/dp/B07FRXRRW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1538170392&sr=1-1&keywords=skelton

The CD is mostly of Wagner, but it's worth getting for the Griffes songs which are just fabulous as music and are immaculately done here. If anyone has any doubt that Skelton is one of the few go-to tenors who can command this strenuous late-romantic idiom, they should hear him here. This is truly great singing.

Samuel Barber's fully romantic song Sure on this Shining Night caps a superlative recital.

alberto

I don't know how often the three Griffes vocal poems are performed.
I was lucky in hearing them once in an actual concert at least twenty years ago , performed by the good wife-husband couple of Carole Farley and Josè Serebrier. Greatly impressed, later I bought a couple of recordings (Bryn-Julson Ozawa, Boston; Quintiliani Falletta, Buffalo Phil).
I knew before some Griffes works, appreciating most of them, finding difficulty with the Piano Sonata.

eschiss1

a quick check suggests his flute poem (even in its orchestral form) and some other works have more live concert exposure at the moment/the 2018/9 season than the MacLeod settings, anyway...

semloh

This is truly great singing.

and he's an Aussie!  ;)

Alan Howe

He is indeed. And a truly wonderful singer.