Première recording of Percy Sherwood's Double Concerto

Started by Rupert Marshall-Luck, Saturday 14 November 2015, 13:44

Previous topic - Next topic

dmitterd

Hi Everyone,
As a Foundation Subscriber of EM Records, I thought a repost from their most recent newsletter (12 May) may offer some timelines for those sitting anxiously, twitching their net curtains:

"We are awaiting from the manufacturer copies of our latest three discs, which we expect to reach us just in time for the English Music Festival in just under two weeks' time. These three discs are EMRCD047:Of such Ecstatic Sound, our recording of Percy Sherwood's Double Concerto for Cello, Violin and Orchestra and Cowen's Fifth Symphony (which you may have heard played on Radio 3 recently); EMRCD048:Harpscape - music for harp by Paul Lewis, played by Gabriella Dall'Olio; and EMRCD049:Dream Tryst - choral works by Holst and Dyson performed by the young and vibrant Godwine Choir."

So EM Records should have received the discs by 26/5, but they're going to be caught up with the English Music Festival, so I imagine once it is over, any orders (standing or otherwise) would be posted within a week of the conclusion of the festival, at the latest.

cheers,
Daniel

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

..and the CD is everything it promised to be. In particular, we can now enjoy the splendid recording quality released from the compromises of a radio broadcast. The Sherwood Double Concerto really is a splendid piece - much more of an intergrated work as far as the two soloists are concerned (in comparison with the Brahms in which dialogue between violin and cello is much more the order of the day).

How fortunate we are to have musicians of the standard of Rupert Marshall-Luck and Joseph Spooner to bring this music to us. When consulting the composer's scores in the Bodleian Library all those years ago I hardly dared imagine that recordings of his finely-crafted music would emerge one day. Bravo!

Alan Howe

semloh

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Actually, MDT doesn't list it as more widely available -yet- (nor does Amazon UK, etc), they offer it for preorder on the 26th as a CD. This comment will auto-delete then of course with hopefully minimal kineticism.

(Edit: yes, yes, intentional...)

Alan Howe

I meant 'more widely available than solely through EM's website'.

QuoteThis comment will auto-delete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSUjuSBt1A  ;)