Rimsky-Korsakov The Maid of Pskov

Started by sdtom, Thursday 26 November 2015, 21:39

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Rachmaninov, Rachmaninoff.....tomato tomato.

Alan Howe

Amphissa

I too tire of having this argument over and over and over with people who, under *any* other circumstance, would be meticulous about the correct spelling of composer's names. But I'll not say anything further about it, Mr. Howe.

eschiss1

well, yes, there is a correct spelling or two- AND ONLY ONE. Use the original Cyrillic (tense etc. depending on etc., using unicode, etc. ...)
I don't happen to know how to conjugate Cyrillic, so I settle for English approximations... that's all the others are. Approximations.

Mark Thomas

OK, that really is the final word on the subject in both this and the other Russian composer's thread. Further contributions risk deletion!

Christopher

sdtom

My original thread really brings up a valid point for the unsung composer and that is Rimsky-Korsakov and the formation of the "rusky" sound a mixture of the orient and folk music. I would encourage all to read Taruskin and his fine books.

chill319

If memory serves, there's a tale that R-K lived for a time with Moussorgsky in the early 1870s. The two sat at opposite sides of a table, Moussorgsky writing Boris and Rimsky writing The Maid of Pskov. (Anyone know if the tale is false?) Boris is no doubt the greater opera, but in my opinion Rimsky's not entirely dissimilar tale is not so far behind in ambition and execution.

sdtom

You're correct Chill. This was at a time where Moussorgsky had lost his government job. As you know Rimsky-Korsakoff spent a lot of time working on Moussorgsky's works.
Tom