News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Faccio - Amleto

Started by BerlinExpat, Wednesday 27 July 2016, 20:09

Previous topic - Next topic

zdenek

I agree that this work is indeed a masterpiece. I saw the production by Delaware Opera in Wilmington in May 2016. Subsequently, I ordered the DVD of the Opera Southwest production from 2014. Additionally, I was able to view the Bregenz July 2016 production online and was swept away by it both visually and vocally. The conducting and the work of the orchestra were superior to that of the other two productions.  I also hear presages of Ponchielli in Amleto  and melodic contours that remind me of Cilea and Giordano.

It is truly tragic that Faccio was so distraught by the 1871 La Scala fiasco that he gave up composing opera. Given that he was only 25 when he composed Amleto, one can only wonder what other masterworks he may have produced had he not left composing for conducting.

JimL

Too bad that he didn't fall into the Sgambati/Martucci camp and try his hand at composing for orchestra and chamber ensembles.  He was a conductor.  He could have conducted his own compositions for his own orchestra with a little help from the above-mentioned worthies.

Addendum: I see that he did indeed compose a Symphony in F and a string quartet. 

Alan Howe

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the Symphony?

zdenek

For what it's worth: the Bregenz production of Amleto should be able to be viewed online from all countries at this Spanish website - http://iopera.es/category/principal/palco/

You scroll down - Amleto is currently the sixth opera in the queue. Clink on the image of Ofelia and another page will open, specifically -
http://iopera.es/hamlet-en-bregenz/

Toward the bottom is a window with the Bregenz production from the Arte channel. No subtitles, but who cares, the music is glorious and the production is interesting visually.

eschiss1

A duet reduction published in the 1870s by Ricordi is at some Italian libraries (search opac.sbn.it) As to the parts, will see if I can find out anything at all... (Similarly the score/parts of his quartet in G minor I think- as I may have mentioned in an earlier post. And a "scherzo, frammento" of a symphony published ca 1884...)

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Well! Came upon this quite by good fortune.

title card about symphony gives date 1859

Will fix Wikipedia

Alan Howe

Great, thanks. So, an early work, then.

Mark Thomas

And thanks for the link to the video of the performance, Zdenek.

alberto

In the usually reliable Dictionary of Music by A. Della Corte and G.M. Gatti (third edition, 1930) I read that Faccio composed, besides the two operas:
-a string quartet in G Major
- a Symphony in f
- romances for voice and piano
-Symphonic Interludes for a play "Maria Antonietta" by A. Giacometti
Dates for all the above are not indicated
In 1884 he composed an Hymn for the Torino Exhibition
Together with the condisciple Arrigo Boito in 1860 he composed a cantata "Il Quattro Giugno" (Fouth of June) and in 1861 a "mystery" "Le Sorelle d'Italia" (Sisters of Italy)