Joseph Holbrooke on CPO

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Monday 21 December 2015, 17:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

I have just been informed that CPO have planned a third CD of music by Joseph Holbrooke. It will contain: Symphony No. 3 "Ships"; Orchestral Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me" and the tone poem "The Birds of Rhiannon". The orchestra is the Deutsche Radiophilharmonie Saarbrücken/Kaiserlautern under Howard Griffiths and the recording sessions are scheduled for the end of January 2016. This will be a very important CD.
Unfortunately, there is still no definite news about the release date of CPO's second Holbrooke CD (recorded nearly 2 years ago), which contains the "Grasshopper" Violin Concerto, the Orchestral Variations on "Auld Lang Syne" and the tone poem "The Raven", except that it should be sometime next year (2016). Let us hope so. The orchestra was the Brandenburgishes Staatsorchester under Howard Griffiths and the soloist in the concerto was Judith Ingolfsson. Let us hope it will not long be delayed.

Alan Howe

Thanks for this news, Gareth. I echo your comments 100%...

Mark Thomas

As do I. Cpo's release delays are both inexplicable and hugely frustrating aren't they?

semloh

Yes indeed, but I think this will certainly be worth the wait! My only disappointment is the decision to include The Birds of Rhiannon, which already has a couple of recordings, when there are so many unknown and unheard orchestral works in the Holbrooke oeuvre (of around 150).

Still, it will be interesting to hear how The Birds fly alongside the distinguished LPO/Handley version on Lyrita.  ::)

Gareth Vaughan

I have just been informed that CPO's second disk of orchestral music by Holbrooke is scheduled for release in September.

Mark Thomas

That's very good news, thanks. It's been a long time coming ...

Gareth Vaughan

I have just been privileged to hear the first edits of CPO's third Holbrooke CD and can report that the playing and conducting are superb. Howard Griffiths really understands Holbrooke's music. There is a delicacy and lucidity about the performances which is exactly what is needed. I hope the disk will be released hot on the heels of the second one.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

My copy arrived this morning. First impressions are of some fine orchestral playing, a sumptuous recording - and a very fine soloist in Judith Ingolfsson. This is going to give hours of pleasure: Holbrooke is a resourceful composer who can write a tune within an attractive late romantic idiom - but who also clearly has a witty side to his character.
Just the job for members of UC - and kudos to Gareth Vaughan for his championing of this music!

Mark Thomas

I'm greatly looking forward to hearing it, and it's great to see all Gareth's efforts now bearing fruit. Ingolfsson is indeed excellent - I saw her play Raff's 2nd Violin Concerto in Switzerland some 12 years ago and she made a wonderful job of it.

Gareth Vaughan

Quotebut who also clearly has a witty side to his character.

That is so true, Alan. Because Holbrooke is mainly known for writing large works inspired by "gloomy" subjects (e.g. Edgar Allan Poe or The Mabinogion) his light music is forgotten - and he truly was a distinguished writer of dance music. After all, he wrote a number of ballets, and dance informs a lot of his work. A CD devoted entirely to Jo's light music would be a delight.
Very glad you like the disk. I think the orchestral playing, and the recording are both first class. Howard Griffiths really understands Holbrooke (as I've probably said before - apologies).

Jimfin

I still very much believe in Holbrooke from what I've been able to hear (heaven knows far more these days, mostly thanks to Marco Polo and Dutton), despite his uncontrolledness. Anything I can hear is always welcome. The CD with Aucassin and Nicolette gave us a nice insight into his lighter side. I love the Saxophone concerto!

Gareth Vaughan

I think I should let members know that, at long last, there is a chance that the third cpo disk of orchestral music by Josef Holbrooke will be released soon. Why do I say this? Because I have just finished writing the CD booklet notes. I was asked to undertake this about 3 weeks ago because the outstandingly competent Franz Groborz, a great devotee of Holbrooke, was unable to do so owing to pressure of work. So, fingers crossed. The music on the 3rd CD is: The Birds of Rhiannon; Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me" and the Symphony no. 3, "Ships" - all in very fine performances, I can say.

Alan Howe

Definitely looking forward to this, Gareth.