Bruch Piano Quintet & String Quartet No.1 from Hyperion

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 30 December 2015, 22:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

An April 2016 release:
Piers Lane and the Goldner String Quartet have returned to the studio once more, this time to record the exuberant Bruch Piano Quintet; also included are his String Quartet No 1 and a set of Swedish Dances for violin and piano.
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/ym.asp?ym=2016_04

eschiss1

... which string quartet no.1? The Op.9 in C minor or the recently-discovered early quartet ("0" but maybe they'll now be renumbered, though without the composer's permission/imprimatur, unlike a better-known 20th-century case (P.H.)?...)

Alan Howe

I imagine it'll be the official No.1, otherwise the blurb would have mentioned something about the newly discovered earlier work.

eschiss1

I vaguely remembered there was now (is now - release date given as January 1, 2016) a recording of the early quartet, but now I do see it listed @ Amazon.com (Diogenes Quartet, here.) My mistake, sorry...

chill319

It would be churlish to complain of another addition to the meager Bruch chamber music discography, especially one as well played as this. Still, the 1999 CPO disc remains a delight, and the most pressing need is for a disc pairing the two late string quintets.

eschiss1

And even that cpo disc isn't the only one pairing the 2 published string quartets, not that one begrudges rare Bruch extra innings (or whatever the expression is.) I agree too that a disc offering the two string quintets together rather than separately would be good. (There are two recordings of the E-flat quintet, one commercial, one live on YouTube- have only heard the latter so far. Seems quite good. Have probably mentioned that many too many times, sorry!)