Ries Cello Sonatas

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 01 January 2016, 21:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Martin Eastick

I was momentarily excited at the prospect of a new recording of these rather superb works - then - I cannot believe how lightning seems to strike twice in the same place, or so to speak! - we now have TWO versions on the dreaded "period instruments"  !! Perhaps this could be a case of "third time lucky"  - if some enterprising duo could record these sonatas with proper modern instruments and accord them with the respect they deserve!

erato

Playing them on an instrument they were written for equals lack of respect?

Alan Howe

No: it depends on the results - and HIP recordings are too often a trial rather than a pleasure.

Martin Eastick

If I might expand on my previous post, firstly, I will readily admit here that I find performances using period instruments are usually more than disappointing, and can narrow this down further by highlighting the use of historic "fortepianos" as they are usually and perhaps correctly labelled, rather than the corresponding contemporary string and woodwind instruments! I do not dispute that Ries would have been writing for instruments similar to those used in both this and the older Hungaroton recordings (a further CD by CPO, ALSO using period instruments, includes two of the three sonatas only but makes up with a couple of fillers, not apparently recorded elsewhere), but surely Ries deserves his cello sonatas to be heard  and given a chance using modern instruments of today rather than the (IMHO) awful wooden, dry and acoustically challenging clattering of an early 19th century keyboard!

If one only had the opportunity to hear Beethoven's cello sonatas, and other similar "sung" repertoire,  in period performances, rather than the varied choices readily available today, I'm convinced this would actually be doing the works a disservice - certainly from many listeners points of view. The added  problem with the Ries sonatas, as unsung repertoire, is vthat they need all the help they can get in a rather niche marketplace, and only being available in such recordings unfortunately relegates them to the status of "historic curios", perhaps only suited to be used to demonstrate "historic instruments" etc., and not worthy of serious consideration as the good music they undoubtedly are in their own right!

I have no problem with certain listeners having a liking, and even a preference, for period instrument performances - that is their choice and their right; but the overwhelming majority would seem to prefer otherwise, and as such to have the only (two and two thirds) recordings of these rather delightful sonatas by Ferdinand Ries, not to mention the recent Hiller piano quintet release, as period performances is a great disappointment. Furthermore, it looks rather ominous that CPO are treating the violin sonatas in the same way, that is if the first volume just released is anything to go by.

erato

Dislike the results; OK with me. Artistic or sonic disaster; Ok as well. I was just reacting to the "lack of respect" phrasing which I find uncalled for.

Martin Eastick

I cannot believe that yet another recording of Ries' Op20 cello sonata is being released by Ars Produktion - this time with a coupling of Beethoven's Op5 No1 and Ries' own Russian variations Op72, BUT AGAIN USING DREADED "PERIOD INSTRUMENTS"!! One could clearly state that for such unsung territory as Ries' cello works, we have surely reached "market saturation" yet still no sign of a recorded performance with modern instruments, and now with this duplication, even less chance. Perhaps one can but hope though..........!

Double-A

This may be stuff for a new thread, but just a quick reaction.

Maybe it is not the period instruments, maybe it is the players.  I am rather a period instrument skeptic myself because it seems to me that period instruments have to stand in when the players / conductors don't quite know what else to do with a piece.

I can however recall opposite experiences:  Once I found a recording in the public library of the Fanny Hensel piano trio which happened to be on period instruments.  As to the violin and cello we are essentially still playing Mendelssohn time instruments--and bows--today, so no big deal.  The piano however settled into today's massive and powerful instrument much later.  I have never heard a more convincing rendering of the trio.  The piano sounding weaker than today made for almost perfect balance, something requiring nowadays an extremely considerate pianist or else string players forcing the tone--inappropriate in a piece by either of the Mendelssohn siblings.  Also the lighter tone of the piano (it wasn't as metallic as one often hears, just slimmer than a Steinway) made for crystal clear semidemiquaver runs in the first movement.  These runs sound more like wrapped in cotton wool in most recordings I have heard.

Given this experience I am willing to listen before criticizing performances on period instruments.

Alan Howe

I've listened to some excerpts - frankly, they were horrible.

Gareth Vaughan

Although not violently anti-fortepiano, I have to agree with Alan with regard to these sonatas. None of the recordings is particularly pleasant to listen to (at least for my ears), the Brilliant CD being particularly horrid IMHO.

eschiss1

What I can't blame is the sonatas themselves; I listened to an LP- Telefunken? - of the Op.20 in A major/minor at the university library awhile back, and found the music extremely impressive. (Almost definitely the best first impression any work by Ries has ever made on me.)

Martin Eastick

Here, at last, is the first recording of these rather impressive sonatas performed on modern instruments. This, then, will hopefully give us the opportunity to truly evaluate these works from the perspective of the "level playing field"! I personally have every confidence that this recording will live up to my expectations, and certainly will be far preferable to any of the preceding releases of this repertoire! https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573726

Hector

Ries' Cello Sonatas are available on Dynamic. Arturo Bonucci (cello), Aldo Orvieto (piano)

Wonder what Naxos mean by Vol.1 as that's it for Ries cello sonatas. There is a nice Introduction and Rondo but that won't fill a disc.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteWonder what Naxos mean by Vol.1 as that's it for Ries cello sonatas. There is a nice Introduction and Rondo but that won't fill a disc.

There is an early cello sonata in C minor WoO2 (1799), written when he was 17 and extant in two MSS; also a Romance for cello & piano, which seems to be an arrangement of a movt. from one of his piano sonatas. Together with the Introduction and Rondo these might fill a second disc, I suppose.