News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rimsky-Korsakov/Skazka

Started by sdtom, Monday 19 July 2010, 14:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Delicious Manager

Other Kondrashin recordings I recommend highly:
Beethoven - Eroica Symphony (Philips - live Concertgebouw performance)
Beethoven - Fourth Symphony (Melodia - studio Moscow Phil performance)[he was one hell of a Beethoven conductor]
Dvořák - New World Symphony (Decca/London - studio Vienna Phil performance)
Mahler - Seventh Symphony (Tahra - live Concertgebouw performance)
Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No 3 (Philips - studio Moscow Phil performance with Byron Janis)
Rakhmaninov (Rachmaninoff) - Symphonic Dances (Melodia and various transfers - studio Moscow Phil performance)
Ravel - Daphnis et Chloë (Philips - live Concertgebouw performance
Shostakovich - Fourth and Seventh symphonies (Melodia and various pressings - studio Moscow Phil performances)
Tchaikovsky - Sixth Symphony (various - one studio and two live Moscow Phil performances)

Oh, yes .... Skazka ....

Pengelli

Regarding my last post. I think I/or he meant,the piano accompaniment. You know,the bloke in front of the screen at the piano,(or organ). A bit before my time....

eschiss1

hrm. i checked http://www.radiostephansdom.at to see if Glière 2 would be in the monthly-or-so numbered-symphonies series (which begins on August 21st) but it isn't. There are some videos of the symphony on YouTube, though, including http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpQ56UzvgtI.

Pengelli

Thank you. I must get used to the fact that Youtube has lot's of music as well.
This sounds to be in a very similair vein. The excerpts I've heard just don't give you the scale of the music. Incidentally,one of the reviewers on Musicweb seemed to think Gliere was a more subtle composer than Tchaikovsky. Going a bit to far perhaps,but he's pretty good!

Pengelli

His First symphony sounds pretty stirring on there,too!

mbhaub

The first two Gliere symphonies are certainly worth a hearing, especially for anyone who is on this site. Are they great music? No, not by any stretch, but entertaining enough. The Naxos (Marco Polo) recordings are good enough, although Macal on Delos has better playing and sound.

Pengelli

No,there's no comparison with Tchaikovsky's symphonies in terms of emotional range and depth,but Gliere's 3rd is certainly one of the best Russian symphonies of it's period. Although,Gliere certainly pushes his material to it's limits!
   No 2 is the kind of symphony I would have been playing full blast,if I had known it,when I was a teenager,along with my Khatchaturian LP's. (Although,it probably would have been difficult to find a decent LP. Maybe,in my 'Russian,man in a very cold room, Record Company lists?) Not deep,but quite exciting,when you're in the right mood. Definately,music to play loudly,if you can do so without annoying the neighbours!
  Incidentally,is that definately the right way to spell Khatchaturian? (Who was an Armenian,of course).

Delicious Manager

I prefer to spell it 'Khachaturyan' especially as the accent in Armenian is on the 'YAN'), but, for once, I'm bowing to convention because Armenian script can be difficult to transliterate clearly.

TerraEpon

Quote from: mbhaub on Tuesday 27 July 2010, 21:01
The first two Gliere symphonies are certainly worth a hearing, especially for anyone who is on this site. Are they great music? No, not by any stretch, but entertaining enough.

I'd put that the 2nd is one of the most emotionally charged pieces I've ever heard. I'd rather listen to it any day of my life over Beethoven's 3rd, Brahms's 2nd, or any of Bruckner's.

Though I guess if you want to talk about "great" Gliere you have to go with the 3rd...but this is getting off topic I guess.

Pengelli

And fun too,like Khatchaturian's First Symphony. Who cares what anyone else thinks!

mbhaub

For a real wallow, nothing beats the Khachaturian 3rd -- 18 trumpets, organ, what more could one want!

This is way off topic, and a long time ago we spent considerable time on the Gliere 3rd, a work I love dearly, but just this week I happened to hear a recording totally new to me, but quite old. A collector friend loaned me a copy of an old LP with Ferenc Fricsay conducting (1956, RIAS). It's cut, as were all versions in that era, but just like everything Fricsay did, it's a thrilling version and far better than many other old recordings that have made it to cd. DG has made a cd but I've never seen it over here.

sdtom

Boy this is going to be a hard call for me!! I got the Kondrashin in the mail today and I do admit it is excellent. I also like the Dorati and I wonder if the remastering has anything to do with it? Mercury made good recordings.

sdtom

I've earmarked today for my review of Capriccio Espagnol. This is going to be a tough choice for me

sdtom

Where did the majority of the members of the RCA Symphony come from???

Pengelli

Saw the Naxos cd of Myaskovsky 24 & 25,while I was looking for Kalinnikov. Tried some excerpts out of curiosity. Rather liked what I heard. Off topic a bit,but the cover photo & music seem to have a 'fairy tale' quality to them.