Unsung music by sung composers

Started by JimL, Tuesday 20 July 2010, 05:08

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I was wondering if anyone had heard of this work, or knew of this CD?  I was very well aware that Gioacchino Rossini had composed several concertante works, but I thought that they were pretty much all variations for solo winds and orchestra.  However, I seem to have been mistaken.  Apparently there is at least one full-fledged concerto.  I found it here.  I'd like to know if this is a reconstruction, a spurious work, or an actual rediscovery of a hitherto unknown concerto.  It postdates his final opera by some 15-16 years, which places it well among the "Sins of his Old Age".  Judging by the timings of the movements it appears to be a fairly substantial work, just a shade over 35 minutes long.  The snippet of the first movement from the audio sample indicates that it is scored for a rather large orchestra, including trumpets and timpani.

Seek and ye shall find: www.postgazette.com/pg/04331/416868-42.stm

John H White

There is certainly plenty of unsung or seldom sung music out there by other well known composers. Some years ago Prof Brian Newbould did a survey of Schubert's symphonic fragments and, amongst other things, resurrected  and completed what he claims to be his 10th symphony. Most of this stuff can be found on a most interesting CD from Hyperion. If you're interested in out of the way tit bits from Beethoven try www.unheardbeethoven .org .

eschiss1

I agree- it's an extraordinarily large (if not on-topic) topic/can-of-worms/what have you. BIS apparently was able to find lots of material for their Sibelius (once one of the most sung of composers) edition much of which was almost unknown without scraping the bottom of the barrel, I gather. There's similarly, I understand (in both cases I have heard some of this music :) ) huge quantities of quite good but underplayed Haydn, also for example...
(And don't get me started on the Bach cantatas, once quite a lot more underrated than now, still much underrated anyway -- but at least in relation to the Bach cantatas there is an outstanding website with full and vocal scores, recordings or sound samples, and much else.)

Mark Thomas

Back to "Rossini's" Basoon Concerto. A recording of it is reviewed at MusicWeb International, Jim.

TerraEpon

There's been a topic or two before on the general music of "unsung by sungs". I aways enjoy seeking those out.

FBerwald

A'm going on a faint memory of something I read a long time ...But didn't Borodin write a concerto for flute and piano (without orchestra)? I'm sure I read it somewhere.
......... Also an earlier wind concerto by Beethovan !?!

eschiss1

Quote from: FBerwald on Wednesday 28 July 2010, 07:30
A'm going on a faint memory of something I read a long time ...But didn't Borodin write a concerto for flute and piano (without orchestra)? I'm sure I read it somewhere.
......... Also an earlier wind concerto by Beethovan !?!
Beethoven oboe concerto (apparently lost except for draft of second movement only, completed and orchestrated), Hess 12? It's been recorded, e.g. on a CD of Lebrun concertos. Don't know of the Borodin work, will see.
Eric

John H White

While we're on the subject of Beethoven, I seem to remember, around 50 years ago hearing his second symphony played on the BBC with the original Andante slow movement which Beethoven is said to have discarded in favour of the splendid Larghetto which has formed the second movement for the past 200 years.