Unsung solo piano music: recommendations, please!

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 05 February 2016, 19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Don't forget the series of six CDs of Raff's solo piano music, magnificently played by Tra Nguyen on Grand Piano. Start with volume 3.

Rob H

I love the Sonata op19 by Halfden Cleve - I want to play it but have never tracked the music down. It was on an LP played by Nockleberg - don't know if it has been transferred to CD.

I would love to recommend a large scale piece by Riccardo Pick-Mangiagalli but unfortunately I can only offer his Deux Lunaires especially the second "Olaf's dance" (Sri Biro or Aldo Ciccolini make a good impression) - wish there was more of his music recorded.

Ebubu

1/ Have you explored the Six Sonatas by Sophie-Carmen EKHARDT-GRAMATTÉ, a XXth century Canadian composer ? Hamelin did a very impressive recording of the lot...

2/  No one seems to have mentionned the 3 Korngold Sonatas, which are fairly interesting, especially knowing that the 1st one was composed by an 11-year old prodigy... 

3/  If you want to tackle something REALLY hefty, you can try the 53 GODOWSKY Etudes cycle ?  :o  ;D  or even just his Sonata...

Have fun !!