News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Symphony wish list.

Started by John H White, Sunday 31 May 2009, 20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Just going back to Black's list, Robert Fuchs' three symphonies have been issued on two CDs by Thorofon and most (if not all) of those by Fritz Brun have come out on Guild. I'd certainly echo his suggestion of the symphonies of Paul Bütner, Ewald Strässer and Max Trapp. I have at pair of the former's symphonies and radio recordings of one by each by the latter two and find them very rewarding in their late romantic way. Karl Bleyle's music is also most enjoyable, although I have never heard one of his symphonies.

Pengelli

I have all the Charles Tournemire symphonies on cd.
I cannot understand their neglect.Fascinating music.

Gareth Vaughan

Sorry to be pedantic, Mark, but Guild have released only 5, 9 & 10 of Brun's symphonies in modern recordings plus, most recently, No. 8 in an historic recording with the composer himself conducting, while Sterling have given us No. 3. I can't find recordings of any of the others. Please correct me, if I am wrong. I hope I am, because I'd like to hear the others.

Alan Howe

sdtom

I would like to explore more of the Poe works that Holbrooke did.  There is a Marco Polo and this newer CPO.
Thomas

Pengelli

The Marco Polo is well worth hearing for the Raven & The Bells Prelude.

Pengelli

Going back to symphonies. I would love to hear those of Stanley Bate.Chandos say they are interested.And what
about Gaze Cooper?

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks for the info. about Brun's No. 2, Alan.
"...and what about Gaze Cooper?" Hear,hear! What about Gaze Cooper? But where are his MSS? And what about Richard Sacheverell Coke? Very little of his music was published. His MSS are in the Coke-Steel Archive at Chesterfield Library in Derbyshire, but I have not seen them and do not know what is extant, and details of the archive are not available online.

Mark Thomas

My assertion that "most (if not all) Brun's symphonies are now available" was clearly wishful thinking, Gareth, and I cheerfully withdraw it with apologies.

Gareth Vaughan

Let us hope your wishful thoughts (and mine) are realised, Mark.

Pengelli

So Gaze Cooper's mss could be hard to track down?

Gareth Vaughan

See this article on Gaze Cooper: http://www.kith.org/jimmosk/barnett.html
As he was a Nottingham composer, there is a good chance that his MSS, if not held by his daughter, Sylvia Pike, are in the County Music Library. Doubtless Rob Barnett (the author of the article and a great champion of lesser known British composers) would be able to help.

Gareth Vaughan

Correction: when I wrote RICHARD Sacheverell Coke, I meant ROGER Sacheverell Coke. Apologies.

Pengelli

What about the splendidly named August Bungert. One
of his symphonies is about a Zeppelin,I believe?

Pengelli

By the way,does anyone know whether cpo will be doing
the symphonies of Cornelis Dopper?