BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Symphony wish list.

Started by John H White, Sunday 31 May 2009, 20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

I'd like to see and hear recordings of:-
(1) All the symphonies of Franz Lachner, especially numbers 2 & 6
(2) All the unrecorded symphonies of Kallivoda.
(3) All the unrecorded symphonies of Carl Czerny.
(4) All of Eggert's symphonies.
(5) Any symphonies by Ignaz Lachner. I believe he wrote one for children on the  lines of the Toy Symphony.
(6) Any choral symphonies that predated Beethoven's No. 9
      The odds are that none of this will happen in my lifetime, but there's no harm in wishing! :) Now, who have I left out? ;D

Alan Howe

These are good suggestions in respect of the first half of the 19th century. As for later in the century, these would be mine:
1. Bargiel C major
2. Rudorff 1-3
3. Berger W. 1 & 2
4. Noskowski 1-3
5. Cliffe 2
6. Klughardt 2, 4, 5 (1 & 3 are in the pipeline)
7. Abert 1-3 & 5-7
8. Hofmann Frithjof
9. Jadassohn 2-4
10. Sgambati 2
11. Grimm D minor
12. Becker A. G minor
13. Reinthaler D major
14. Munzinger A major
15. Grädener C. C minor
16. Hiller G major; E minor
17. Scharwenka P. 1 & 2
18. Stojowski D minor

Mark Thomas

I'd happily subscribe to John's list and add some more arch-romantic suggestions of my own (in no particular order):

Heinrich Hofmann's Frithjof Symphony
Julius Rietz's Symphony No.3 (but Nos.1&2 would be nice too)
Julius Otto Grimm's Symphony
Emil Hartmann's symphonies
Alfred Hill's unrecorded symphonies
Hugo Ulrich's Symphonie Triomphale
August Klughardt's symphonies
Bronsart's symphonies (if they were ever found)
Jean Louis Nicodé's Gloria! Symphony
Schnyder van Wartensee's unrecorded symphonies
Frederick Cowen's unrecorded symphonies
Frederic Cliffe's Symphony No.2
Zygmunt Noskowski's three symphonies
Zygmunt Stojowski's Symphony
Philip Scharwenka's symphonies

und so weiter...

p.s. Alan and I obviously drink at the same well

TerraEpon

Faure wrote a Suite, Op. 20, which is sometimes called a Symphony, and for whatever reason it seems to have never been recorded in full...

Also, Chaminade's choral symphony thingy.

Syrelius

Quote from: TerraEpon on Monday 01 June 2009, 03:08
Faure wrote a Suite, Op. 20, which is sometimes called a Symphony, and for whatever reason it seems to have never been recorded in full...

There is an "Allegro Symphonique" by Faure recorded on CD. Has that got anything to do with the Suite or are those separate works?

Many of the works mentioned above would indeed be most welcome on CD (I'm especially interested in the Eggert and Noskowski). A few others that comes to mind are the symphonies of Bror Beckman, Einar Skagerberg, Adolf Wiklund, Ole Olsen, G Fitelberg and Robin Milford. It would also be nice if Naxos would record more of the symphonies of Hadley in their American series. There also ought to be a few unsung French symphonies of interest out there (thank you CPO, for the new Gouvy CD!).

Lew

Hi there everyone.

Three English symphonies I would particularly like to see in circulation are Francis Davenport's symphonies in D minor and B flat major and Alice Mary Smith's symphony no.3 in G major.

Davenport's D minor work shared first prize (with Stanford's B flat symphony) in a competition arranged at the Alexandra Palace in 1876, beating Alice Mary Smith's into second place. Fortunately, Smith's first two symphonies are available on CD.

Wouldn't it be marvellous if the manuscript of Raff's lost E minor symphony of 1854 reappeared?

Lew

FBerwald

How about the Symphonies of Godard?

Mark Thomas

I have a poor radio recording of Godard's Symphonie Orientale. It's in five movements, named: I. Les Éléphants II. Chinoiserie III. Sara la Baigneuse IV. Le rêve de la Nikia V. Marche Turque. You can probably imagine what it's like, but let's just say that it's not a German symphony!

As for Raff's lost E minor Symphony, Raff probably destroyed it, retaining just the two movements which later appeared in the Suite for Orchestra No.1. Considering how rare it is to find a manuscript of even a published Raff work (because he placed no value on them himself), it's highly unlikely that it'll ever come to light.

TerraEpon

I'd much rather someone find Villa-Lobos's 5th myself. Yeah not too romantic, but I adore the rest of em.
Also, Krommer has at least two symphonies that, unless they are on Supraphon or otherwise very OOP, have yet to be recorded.

Alan Howe

There are two symphonies by Krommer available on Chandos - samples here...

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/fb2168f227aec203db41480801eeeed3/classic/detail/-/art/Franz-Krommer-Symphonien-op-40-op-102/hnum/7061471

...and at least two others which haven't been recorded.

John H White

Lew,
  In his programme notes for the 1992 Chandos recording of Stanford's 1st symphony, Lewis Foreman mentions the fact that Davenport, who apparently beat Stanford into 2nd place in the competition, happened to be the son-in-law of one of the judges, Sir George Macfarren. He makes no mention of Alice Mary Smith coming 3rd with her 3rd Symphony. Many thanks for that bit of information. It would certainly be nice to hear both it and Davenport's winning entry. Then we could judge for ourselves which one was the best.

Alan Howe

They'd have to be good: Stanford 1 is a glorious piece.

izdawiz

Napravnik was a prominent conductor, and a main figure in the late-nineteenth century music scene in Russia, well-known to composers like Tchaikovsky and Rimski-Korsakov. There are four symphonies All in all and none have been recorded that I know of ..

Svendsen   :'( his 3rd symphony would of probably have been  a glorious one.

peter_conole

Hi all

Many thanks for the gentle funny/unfunny reminder of the loss of Svendsen's 3rd symphony. A pity - but was the story related to domestic problems, or was it concocted to to cover Svendsen's descent into substance abuse?

On a different tangent (but still possibly alcohol related), the five unpublished symphonies of Belgian composer Hendrik Waelput (1845-1885) are still awaiting publication or performance attention at their current resting place in the library of the Ghent Conservatory. He lost a key job at Bruges for alleged grog abuse in around 1871. The horrors of musical politics surely earn Waelput's symphonies a place on a wants list...

regards
Peter

Gareth Vaughan

Josef Holbrooke: Dramatic Choral Symphony "Hommage to E.A. Poe"; Symphony No. 2 "Apollo and the Seaman"; Symphony No. 3 "Ships"; Symphony No. 4 "Hommage to Schubert". 
Chaminade: Choral Symphony "Les Amazones".
Godard: Choral Symphony "Tasso".
Alnaes: 2 symphonies.
Leopold Damrosch: Symphony.
Havergal Brian: Symphony No. 5
Sacheverell Coke: 3 symphonies.

And, naturally, all those listed by Alan and Mark!