Godard Violin Sonatas

Started by Sharkkb8, Sunday 13 March 2016, 00:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

Four violin sonatas by Benjamin Godard are poised to be released as "World Premiere Recordings" by the Aparte label, featuring Nicolas Dautricourt (violin) and Dana Ciocarlie (piano).  The 2-disc set is to become available in about a week, at least on Amazon USA.  Comments, interest, further info?

http://www.amazon.com/Godard-Sonatas-Violin-Nicolas-Dautricourt/dp/B01B7PALIC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1457827213&sr=1-1&keywords=godard+violin+sonata

Gregory

kolaboy

Great news. Been hoping for more Godard...

Sharkkb8

....and, on closer inspection - for those of the download persuasion, this recording is offered as a pre-order (downloadable March 18) through iTunes, and for a modest $13.99, as opposed to Amazon's $32. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/benjamin-godard-integrale/id1087863931

jerfilm

Exciting news.   Looking forward to it.

Jerry

jdperdrix

Also available the same day (March 18), a CD of melodies by Tassis Christoyannis, who previousely contributed to a higly recommendable CD of Félicien David's melodies. Also avalable on amazon for $21.98 or for download at $8.99.

Alan Howe

kolaboy

The Melodies are a definite purchase. I've been immersed in French Melodies of late...

Alan Howe

I've got to say I think the violin sonatas sound absolutely wonderful:
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Apart%25C3%25A9/AP124#listen
This is beguiling music, beautifully played - by the sound of it.

jonfrohnen

I'm on my second day of listening, very charming and pleasing to hear!!

Gareth Vaughan

These are absolutely delicious pieces and I strongly recommend this disk to all those who love well-crafted, melodious music. It is real joy from start to finish.

Alan Howe

Oh, excellent. It'll be part of my next order with MDT...

Mark Thomas

I'm slowly working my way through these pieces and I can only join the chorus of praise for both the composer and performers. These Sonatas are an absolute delight; sometimes deliciously pretty, sometimes satisfyingly muscular but always superbly written and a gratifying listen. Quite a few Godard recordings have been issued in the last couple of years, and on the whole I have been disappointed by his orchestral output, but here he seems to have found his métier. If the Violin Sonatas are typical of his chamber music, then I'd love to hear more. Last year's Timpani recording of the three string quartets didn't make much of an impression on me, but I must give it another listen...

Alan Howe

I wholly agree with Mark. And I'd add that these sonatas are also very original. In fact, I really can't think of anything in the repertoire quite like them - and I never thought I'd say that of something by Godard.

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, praises all round for those Violin Sonatas. And rather astonishing that Godard wrote all four at the start of his compositional career.

Like Mark I haven't been bowled over by what I've heard of the orchestral music - but unlike Mark I was very impressed by the Timpani recording of the String Quartets. They do take several auditions to discover their delights, but in my view they are works of high quality. There is a slightly older recording of the two Piano Trios (Op. 32 and 72 from 1880 and 1884) by the Trio Parnassus, and it was largely those works that awakened my interest in Godard.

I've also very much enjoyed the Grand Piano recordings of the piano works by Eliane Reyes - one delight after another in those discs!

Mark Thomas

I didn't get around to my promised re-hearing of the string quartets, and I really must. Judging by the quality of the violin sonatas, I'm sure that I'd find them much more rewarding second time around.