News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Richard Wüerst

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 22 March 2016, 17:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Well that's impressive company. As I've written several times already in this thread, Wüerst was clearly a successful composer in his day with almost all his output being published in his lifetime, his First Symphony winning a competition, and all of his seven operas being staged. Whilst success is no indication of quality, of course, it does at least show that his music had something which kept the public coming back for more for 30-odd years.

Double-A

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 22 March 2016, 23:08
...quite what is meant by "Under the Balcony" I can't imagine.

"Under the balcony" is titled a serenade and is one quite literally:  The solo cello "sings" "under the balcony" (with presumably the adored lady on it) accompanied by plucked strings like the scene from Don Giovanni (at least it starts that way).  Not hard to play even for the solo cellist.  A short one movement (salon?) piece.  Could be an encore piece for an amateur string orchestra with a reasonably competent first cellist.

Mark Thomas

Ahh, I never thought of that. Romeo/Juliet etc. Thanks.

eschiss1

Also, very incidentally, mentioned in the 1905 edition of Tchaikovsky's letters as a somewhat- snipey? - critic - of a performance of the latter's music in Germany. To be clear, I'm very interested in hearing Wuerst's music anyway...

matesic

A first burst of Wüerst?

http://imslp.org/wiki/Unterm_Balcon_Serenade,_Op.78_(W%C3%BCerst,_Richard)#IMSLP416570

Played not quite as the composer specified, but a very attractive piece I think

Mark Thomas

Oh that's great, Steve. Finally some Wüerst to listen to. Thanks a lot.

Mark Thomas

.. and what a charming and delicately crafted little number it is. A salon piece, but none the worse for that. On this showing Wüerst was clearly no mean tunesmith, and one can begin to see why his music was evidently popular in his day. Thanks again. Steve.

Double-A

Well done, Matesic!  Well done, Wüerst!

After hearing the piece I'll qualify my statement about it being "not hard to play".  The transparency of the music throughout the piece poses its own problems.  That said:  It IS material suited for amateurs as I said, it just needs respect and enough rehearsal time (especially the pizzicato section in the beginning.  For some reason there doesn't seem to be a violin teacher on earth who properly teaches pizzicato).  A good opportunity to work on more subtle aspects of playing.

Reverie

Another burst of Wüerst  :D

An orchestral piece entitled  Ein Märchen (1866)

(13 mins)

Solid Germanic stuff!

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c00m3Co2H0U

Alan Howe

Solid stuff - not very adventurous, I suppose. But who cares? It reminded me of Mendelssohn. I'd certainly like to hear more.

Thanks, as ever!

Reverie

I don't hear much Mendelssohn here. Too solid and hefty.

Mark Thomas

Thanks, as ever, Martin. Nothing wrong with "solid Germanic stuff", let's hear the Wüerst he can do!

Alan Howe

I was reminded of a certain Wedding March. My fault, I know.

Mark Thomas

I don't hear that at all, but neither is there anything individual about the piece - it's what one would expect to hear from a competent German composer in the mid-19th century, and none the Wüerst (sorry) for that as long as one isn't looking for too much originality.

ewk

Dear Martin, thank you for the realisation of the Märchen!

Nice to hear how good midi orchestras are by now, there are certainly passages where it would be difficult to tell that it's not an actual orchestra – especially the strings are nowhere as bad as they used to be in the old days (while there are of course other passages that sound like a harmonium, mostly when brass is involved ;-) – simply the limits of this techinque, nothing to do with your work of course).

I assume you created a modern computer score at least as a side product of this realisation – would you be willing to upload it e.g. on imslp, as well as the parts? Especially the latter would of course make an actual performance far more likely, should any orchestra happen to be looking into Wüerst!

Best wishes! ewk