News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Richard Wüerst

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 22 March 2016, 17:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Tangentially one problem with string texture may have been improvable a little even then by choosing solo rather than orchestral string samples...

tpaloj

I don't know how it is with Sibelius, but in Dorico the general sound of the string parts can be manually altered by command codes that add or reduce the amount of virtual "players" in each string section at any time. The program automatically splits the virtual players in divisi passages for a supposedly more realistic sound, too.

Reverie

ewk - thank you for your comments.

I actually asked cypressdome to help me with uploading to IMSLP as I found it a bit tricky etc....  In no time at all all of my "renditions" were uploaded perfectly. Thanks again to cypressdome!

As regards the sound quality of Noteperformer using Sibelius I actually find the string sound the best. The AI actually creates the sound desk by desk - tpaloj I haven't time for those tiny adjustments.  ;D 

The brass, and here I differ,  is  fantastic and far removed from a harmonium as I can imagine.  ;D

If you need to hear the power of Noteperformer pushed to its limit  listen to this. It's stunning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m76cWER3C8&t=66s

matesic

One marvels at the technology, but is it music?  I get no sense of mystery or personal involvement which is such a vital element of any performance of the Rite. It's like Shakespeare immaculately performed by robots. I dread the day that this starts to be regarded as a substitute for the real thing, but fortunately I think the "human" element will for ever elude the robotmasters.

Alan Howe

Quite so. But in the absence of (human) performances of unsung repertoire it'll do nicely, thank you!

Reverie

matesic - sorry I agree obviously. God forbid this technology replaces live performances in the distant future. It won't of course because as musicians we love playing and physically feeling the music through our whole body. It's what contributes to making us human isn't it.

But as Alan has said it's a useful tool to open doors that might never be opened. And it might inspire performers to play new repetoire?

semloh

Thank you to Reverie for resuscitating this thread, which I initially missed, and for the opportunity to hear some of the music. I think it gives a pretty good impression of what it would sound like under the baton!

eschiss1

I hope someone will find his large orchestral works- 3 symphonies?- and digitize them, by the way. I've been and am curious.

matesic

Yes, I too warmly applaud those who take such pains for the sake of neglected repertoire - the hours it must take to notate and realize even a 12-minute piece like Ein Märchen. It was the example of The Rite of Spring that brought home to me that, whereas some music makes its impression pretty well given an accurate rendition of the notes on the page, there's a great deal more that can only be revealed by personal interpretation and communication.

Droosbury

As an aside, I see from the excellent notes to Toccata's third helping of orchestral works by Moszkowski that Wüesrt taught him composition at Julius Stern's Conservatoire in 1869. Did a good job, too, if the delightful Suite No 1 is anything to go by (the disc also includes a very competent student work, the Overture from 1871-2).