News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Paul Juon Orchestral Edition

Started by Wheesht, Tuesday 03 March 2015, 13:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

Conductor Christof Escher is working on what is intended to become a complete sheet music and CD edition of Paul Juon's orchestral works to become available by 2022, the composer's 150th birthday:
http://www.juon.org/0.IJGHomePage_en.html > Orchestral Edition (second from the top, on the left)

eschiss1

Ah good. I also notice that Musikproduktion Höflich has been reprinting a whole lot of his orchestral and concertante works lately- not new critical editions, but still, reprints at least make works newly available...

(and I see that Lienau has reprinted or made new editions (? it's not clear, the presence of editors' names in library-catalog entries makes me suspect that there are at the very least prefaces attached) of a number of his chamber works in the last few years, too :) I should check to see if Lienau has a website- I expect so- with any further info about this, or if there's info on the Paul Juon site about it. Hrm.)

Christopher

This was just flagged up on another forum and I thought it might interest people here:

Paul Juon, Ingeborg's Lament, Orchestral Ballade, Op 3a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjulywnz21M

Athens Philharmonia Orchestra, Byron Fidetzis

Live performance

Christopher

This sounds absolutely as if it was written by Tchaikovsky.  Very attractive piece.  I note it's opus 3a, so presumably Juon was yet to find his own voice.

Alan Howe

This dates from 1894 and would appear to be Juon's earliest orchestral work. Hardly surprisingly, it's entirely uncharacteristic.

Mark Thomas

It certainly is and, at least for me, that seems to mean that I enjoy it more than his later works.

Alan Howe

I sort of agree - but only sort of. The early works are pretty pale imitations of his models and so don't really add up to much. My favourite works of his would be his VC1 and the late Rhapsodische Sinfonie, particularly the latter.

Mark Thomas

Well, I was being snide really, and not that serious. I genuinely don't dislike Joun's early works, characterless though they are, as their odd mix of Tchaikovsky and Brahms is a wee bit weird and quirky. On the other hand I recently bought cpo's CD of his late Rhapsodische Sinfonie and Sinfonietta Capricciosa, and both seemed very thin fare, with nothing worthwhile to say.

adriano

That's exactly what I also thought of the works on this cpo CD, Mark and Alan  8)

Alan Howe

And with that, we agree to disagree....

Mark Thomas

Can't always be on the same page.