News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Proms 2016

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 14 April 2016, 20:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

As far as I can see, the only items of interest this year would be Zemlinsky's Lyric Symphony and Reger's Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Mozart. Oh dear, oh dear.

Mark Thomas

Don't tell me that you're surprised?

Alan Howe

No. Not even disappointed. I wasn't expecting anything of interest and my expectations were realised.

mbhaub

Hardly anything you don't get in a regular symphony season. I had a great time in London at the 2015 Proms, but then the Schmidt 2nd was a major draw. Nothing like it this year. And I can catch Rattle with Berlin doing Mahler 7 in Los Angeles in a vastly better sounding hall.

musiclover

What a dreary uninspiring programme of concerts. It can't be easy scheduling a festival like this but so much of this is music we can hear everywhere. How can you have a celebration of the Cello as a solo instrument and not include Raphael Wallfisch? It can't be anything other than the mediocrity that put this all together. It was dumbing down under Roger Wright, but, a Strictly come dancing Prom?? Pathetic.

semloh

As long-time UC members might recall, I utterly loathe the BBC Proms, for reasons I have aired previously, so will refrain from saying anything further!

However, as an aside, we have just finished a series of four concerts in Australia under the banner of the "BBC Proms Australia", "a brand sure to be a hit", all performed by local orchestras. The first concert, under Sir Andrew Davis with the Melbourne SO, gave us the usual mix of standard repertoire, and an odd "contemporary" piece; the 2nd was modern - Ginastera, Bernstein, and the premiere of a strange piece "for beat boxer & orchestra" (sic); and the 3rd and 4th very different again - comprising the Queensland SO performing original music serving as a live soundtrack to huge video screens showing film illustrating the life and work of Sir David Attenborough. Concert 5, tomorrow, is the standard Last Night repertoire. So, nothing of interest as far as UC goes.

Gareth Vaughan

Couldn't agree more about this year's proms programme,  but would disagree that Roger Wright dumbed down.  Roger was sympathetic to the unsung cause and had a special interest in English music. Sometimes I think the bean counters at the Beeb exert a dead hand on the channel controllers. Mind you, what can one expect from a former Chairman of The Arts Council? A Strictly Come Dancing prom says it all!

Ebubu

"As far as I can see, the only items of interest this year would be Zemlinsky's Lyric Symphony and Reger's Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Mozart. Oh dear, oh dear. "

Same feeling...
I had not even noticed the Zemlinsky...

petershott@btinternet.com

It is very easy to say, but hugely difficult to actually demonstrate, that the BBC and the Proms in particular, was 'dumbed down' by Roger Wright. Matters were far more complex than that......and the political manoeuvrings and pressures within the organisation might well have led Roger to decide to depart from his post and devote his energies and skills elsewhere.

He has certainly thrown himself into his new position at Aldeburgh and Snape with terrific energy, and has gained considerable admiration and respect from those who are frequent participants in musical activities and events in these venues. He is always present at concerts, and often offers a public welcome to those who have come to perform. I was especially struck by an address he gave at a rather wonderful concert given in March by the Piatti Quartet that marked the centenary of the birth of Cecil Aronowitz.....his words were rather moving. Outside his post Roger has also taken part in two enormously entertaining 'Matinees Musicales' with Humphrey Burton held in the Aldeburgh Cinema on Sunday afternoons devoted to 'The Art of Conducting'. On these occasions it is quite evident that Roger has devoted his life to the pursuit of music and enabling the best performances of it possible. He also displays a quite amazing knowledge and familiarity with a staggering range of conductors and legendary names in music and to hear him talk about these figures has brought about much pleasure in audiences. I'd say that his special aptitude is for seeking out and actively encouraging new talents in musical performance and for presenting to audiences many works or composers not previously encountered at Aldeburgh. That is why he has quickly been greeted as a real asset to musical life in East Anglia. Of course there have been some things I didn't especially like....but there is no reason whatsoever to think that things are being 'dumbed down'. That is little more than an unthinking remark and one I find offensive.

khorovod

Gareth Vaughan

I concur. In the arena of music Roger Wright is a good deed in a naughty world.