Berlioz - La Nonne Sanglante

Started by Ebubu, Wednesday 22 August 2018, 09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebubu

https://www.festivalberlioz.com/Visions-et-nonne-sanglante#container

The Berlioz Festival in La Côte Saint André, near Lyon, will propose a concert featuring several French rarities, including all the sketches that Berlioz left for his unfinished opera "La Nonne Sanglante". The concert will be recorded for broadcast.
Furthermore the cast is very promising. Daniel Kawka, the conductor, is not a household name, but nonetheless a gem of a conductor. I heard him some years ago in Dukas' Ariane, and it was absolutely outstanding. This is, to my knowledge, his first collaboration with the Palazetto Bru Zane, but I hope there will be more.

Mark Thomas

Fascinating, thanks. From what I've read, though, Berlioz didn't get very far in setting La Nonne Sanglante, just two Airs and 400 bars of a Duo (which he seems to have re-used in Les Troyens), so perhaps there won't be a great deal that's new.

Alan Howe

Sounds like barrel-scraping to me. Of course the bottom of Berlioz's barrel probably contains some gems...

Christopher

So let's take a "barrel is still a little bit full" rather than a "barrel is mostly empty" approach!

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

What a splendid looking festival. I wish I were able to go to it - all of it!

Mark Thomas

I've said it before, I know, but we really should be hugely grateful to the Palazzetto Bru Zane people!

Alan Howe

Probably the most go-ahead opera people in the world...

Gareth Vaughan

jdperdrix

Christopher

jdperdrix

Just uploaded and waiting approval. ;)