News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Arnold Bax?

Started by kuula, Friday 29 April 2016, 18:18

Previous topic - Next topic

kuula

Bax is probably one of the most "Romantic" of composers.  Does he fit in  the perview of this board?

Alan Howe

mbhaub

I would hope so - we've discussed him a lot in the past. Not so much recently. There's a long list of music I'd like to hear performed live, or even participate in a performance of. The Bax 3rd symphony is high on that list. And I'll continue to make my case to any conductor who will listen.

Alan Howe

To be clear: Just about = Yes!

semloh

Alan, are you saying that Bax is an Unsung Composer, or simply that some works by him are unsung?

mgbhaub. are you suggesting that the Bax symphonies, and No.3 in particular, are neglected by conductors in respect of recordings or of concerts?

Jimfin

Definitely neglected in performance, though not as much as many others. Fairly well represented in recordings, though some works less than others.

minacciosa

These days with three complete symphony cycles, that's not only the best you can hope for, it's positively luxurious. Bax is no longer unsung.

Alan Howe

He's unsung in the concert hall, so let's proceed...

kolaboy

Winter Legends, Spring Fire, and the Seventh Symphony. 3 pieces I never tire of.

eschiss1

There's some Bax in the next year, including The Garden of Fand in Birmingham on Thursday this week.

FBerwald

What about the Symphony in F (realized and orchestrated by Martin Yates)? has anyone reviewed this release?

Mark Thomas

Yes, see here. Four pages in the thread, which I think doesn't need adding to!

mbhaub

Despite three terrific recorded cycles, and the splendid Lyrita recordings, I still think he's unsung. When I talk to orchestra musicians and people who enjoy attending concerts, hardly anyone has ever heard anything by Bax, and most have never even heard of him. I know conductors who have never heard a note. There's one person I know who is at least familiar with Bax, but then he's as dedicated a collector as I am. Maybe things are different in the UK, but at least in my world Bax is an unsung, unknown and unperformed composer. And not the only one as we all know too well.

Mark Thomas

Things are a bit better here, as you'd expect, but I'd say that he was still largely unsung in the UK. He's not a big name like Elgar or Parry but he does have a following, and I suspect that amongst most musicians he'd get at least name recognition, if not much more. Amongst the general concert-going public though, I suspect that he remains an unknown quantity.

Alan Howe

The only piece of his I have ever heard in concert is Tintagel (glorious!)