Servilia - opera by Rimsky-Korsakov

Started by Christopher, Friday 25 March 2016, 18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

I have just read here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck6AhYUHoKA that a recording is being prepared of Servilia, the only one of Rimsky-Korsakov's operas that has not been recorded in full.  To date, only Servilia's aria "My Flowers" has been recorded (quite often), plus a couple of other scenes, recorded by Olga Piotrovskaya (as Servilia), Pavel Lisitsian (as Ignacio) and Georgy Nelepp (as Valeri) with the All-Union Radio Orchestra under Onisim Bron (rec 1949).

The text in the youtube link is in Russian but it says:

The Pokrovsky musical theater is preparing the premiere of "Servilia" opera.
From 9 to 19 February in Moscow Chamber Musical Theatre (17  Nikolsky Street) is holding the first series of staged rehearsals of the opera "Servilia," which will premiere on April 15, 2016 and is timed to the anniversary of the coming of musical director of the theater Gennady Rozhdestvensky. February 19 at 17.00 in the lobby of the theater will take place the presentation of the play to the media. The event will be attended by the director Olga Ivanova, conductor Dmitry Kryukov and artist Victor Gerasimenko.

The idea of staging "Servilia" in the Pokrovsky theater belongs Gennady Rozhdestvensky, who is known as an outstanding educator and discoverer of undeservedly forgotten names and works. Together with him on the production work stage director Olga Ivanov, production designer Victor Gerasimenko, a computer graphic artist Daniel Gerasimenko, conductor Dmitry Kryukov, choirmaster Alexey Vereschagin and the head of the children's group Elena Ozerov.

The  little-known opera occupies a special place in the artistic heritage of the famous Russian composer. Quite atypical for Rimsky-Korsakov's theme, era and genre, as well as the unsuccessful premiere of the opera was originally given an unusual status, and as a result it has always stood apart among the many masterpieces of its author. Since "Servilia" still remains the only unrecorded opera by Rimsky-Korsakov, the theatrical premiere will be preceded by a full recording in a studio under the direction of Gennady Rozhdestvensky.

It would be great if the members of this forum who are based in Moscow could let us know where the CDs could be bought!

Alan Howe

They'd better get on with it. Rozhdestvensky's nearly 85!

mikehopf

This opera can now be downloaded at the Art Music Forum.

Christopher

I'm afraid not Mike - that turned out to be a false alarm.  It links to the Onisim Bron recording (which is anyway commercially available) of 3 or 4 sections from Servilia, about 30 minutes in length.

mikehopf

Yes, Chris, you're right... but it was enough to whet my appetite for the full version.

Pen Dragon

Quote from: Christopher on Friday 25 March 2016, 18:29

It would be great if the members of this forum who are based in Moscow could let us know where the CDs could be bought!

I have attended a performance at Pokrovsky Theatre a couple of months ago. The opera is superb! I asked around, but, unfortunately, nobody has a clue when the recording will be released. Sorry, no good news here.

Christopher

How very frustrating!  Are you based in Moscow?  Do please keep us informed if so!