Society for the Preservation of the American Musical Heritage Discography

Started by jasthill, Monday 11 July 2016, 17:57

Previous topic - Next topic

jasthill

Is there a listing (discography) of the LP recordings made for the Society for the Preservation of the American Musical Heritage by Karl Kreuger and the Royal Philharmonic?  I thought I saw one somewhere - but alas, cannot find it.  Maybe as part of Kreuger's The Way of the Conductor: His Origins, Purpose and Procedures (New York, 1958).  A Google search leads to a circular queue of limited results.  Anyone know?

Update: July 18, '16
I found this citation on WorldCat:
Title:   The musical heritage of the United States :the unknown portion /
Author(s):   Krueger, Karl, 1894-1979.
Corp Author(s):   Society for the Preservation of the American Musical Heritage.
Publication:   [New York] : [Society for the Preservation of the American Musical Heritage],
Year:   1973
Description:   237 pages : portraits ; 21 cm
Language:   English
Standard No:   LCCN: 73-179291
SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor:   Music -- United States -- History and criticism.
Music -- United States -- Discography.
Music
Genre/Form:   Criticism, interpretation, etc.
Discographies.
Geographic:   United States.
Note(s):   Includes a listing of the Society's Archive of Recorded Performances, Music-in-America series.
Class Descriptors:   LC: ML200; Dewey: 781.7/73
Responsibility:   by Karl Krueger.
Vendor Info:   Baker and Taylor (BTCP)
Document Type:   Book
Entry:   19740308
Update:   20150921

Otherwise, patiently awaiting Inter-Library loan to come through.  I'm not sure copyright restrictions would allow any independent extraction and listing.

eschiss1

One can, remember, truncate that link after the PA1638 (PA954) unless one really needs to highlight a searchterm.... (I'm guessing besides books.google.com may direct one to one's specific country site - but I don't know.)

chill319

Likely before your time, but hadrianus, do you happen to have any memories of Karl Krueger?

adriano

I ertainly have, chill319, since I collected and liked some of his recordings. And, since I had found out that his LP with G.T.Strong's "Sintram" was cut in many places, I felt very proud afterwards having been able to do a complete version on CD :-).
Now, I have the CD reissue (on Library of Congress/Bridge) of Kruger's symphonic poems by MacDowell.

chill319

I was thrilled when your Templeton Strong CDs came out. I thought I'd never hear his music in performances of that calibre. Interesting how much more confident than MacDowell Templeton Strong was as an orchestral composer.

Since you mention the re-releases of Krueger's MacDowell tone poems, I'll mention in turn that the Bridge versions are sonically far more satisfactory than the earlier LC version (Our Musical Past, vol. 3). Well worth the extra dinero, IMHO.

adriano

Oh thanks very much, chill319 for your compliments  :)
That was at a time label bosses still believed and investend in their artists. Today they want to get fully sponsored for their products... Without a Swiss cultural sponsor, these three G.T. Strong would never have been possible; their music was considered as "too obscure" by Kaus Heymann. And I remember having consulted Marco Polo's schedules for that year and saw a lot of much more "obscure" (and even unnecessary) repertoire having being approved. But Mr Heymann liked to show that he was the boss; that's why, mostly, he acted capriciously and incomprehensibly...