News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Goetz PCs 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 08 August 2016, 22:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

giles.enders

There is a third piano concerto which was left incomplete when Goetz died.  It seems a shame that this has not been looked at.

Alan Howe

That's not Naxos' fault, surely. In any case, I understand that only sketches exist, so that would be a major reconstruction job at the very least. Does anyone actually know what the extent of these sketches is?

Alan Howe

By the way, I would have a look at the cpo recording of these concertos before considering the Naxos. For one thing, the cpo features a rather better orchestra...
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Hermann-Goetz-1840-1876-Klavierkonzerte-Nr-1-2/hnum/5996766

adriano

You are right, Alan :-)
I like this 3-CD box of 2002 by cpo with Goetz's Orchestral works very much - in which the two mentioned Piano Concertos were already included. The "Spring Overture" is also figuring...

Revilod

I also endorse any recommendation of Banfeld's CPO disc. It's excellent.

By the way, one person who won't be looking forward to a new recording of Goetz's Second Concerto is Jeremy Nicholas. Reviewing the Brilliant Romantic Piano Concerto box in August's "Gramophone" , he calls it, together with Mosonyi's concerto, a "complete non-starter" and "particularly awful".   Beats me!  I think it is one of the best unsung concertos of its period.

Alan Howe

Mr Nicholas is just plain wrong, isn't he? Mind you, how good's the Goetz PC recording in that box?

Revilod

It's going to be Michael Ponti's old recording with the Luxembourg Orchestra under Pierre Cao....perhaps not the last word in refinement but more than enough to give a fair representation of the work itself....and Mr Nicholas is, rightly, extremely enthusiastic about Ponti's playing in general. The only serious problem is a big cut in the finale.

I've always had a soft spot for the versatile Pierre Cao ever since I saw him conduct for the Eurovision Song Contest (I have no excuse!) many years ago. Can you imagine Karajan doing that?!

black

Volker Banfeld's interpretation of the Goetz piano concertos is indeed very convincing, but for the 2nd piano concerto  I'd prefer the more demur performance by Paul Baumgartner on a 1971 LP recording (as far as I know never issued on CD) which can be heard on YouTube.