News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung encores

Started by alberto, Wednesday 10 August 2016, 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

It may be more likely in recitals to hear an unsung encore. It lasts scant time. The composer's name , not appearing on the program, frightens nobody.
So, curiously, in the short span of three-four months, I have the occasion of attending two performances by two distinguished pianists ( Kirill Gerstein and Nelson Goerner; the former in Torino, Italy, the latter in Menton France,) of the Etude for the right hand op.36 by Felix Blumenfeld.

Alan Howe

How interesting. Thanks, alberto!

Rob H

Many years ago (30 or so) I heard Stephen Hough play this as an encore. Stephen is of course known for exploring unusual repertoire and even more so when he was younger. I seem to remember the other two encores were the Caprice burlesque by Gabrilowitsch (nice to see some more of his music has been recorded - thanks Toccata classics) and the Prelude in Fsharp by Moritz Rosenthal. I think there is still only one recording of this piece (Donald Manildi on Elan though Rosenthal made a piano roll of it). I played it at our local piano circle where it went down well. My contributions on that occasion would be counted as all encore nowadays - 6 preludes by Schutt (e minor), Liadov (b minor), Michalowski (f sharp minor), Rosenthal (F sharp), Bortkiewicz (D flat) and Kapustin (G).

Possibly too long for an encore but I would love to hear Rosenthal's Faust fantaisie - not sure why it has been ignored when his two Strauss transcriptions get played and recorded reasonably often.

As to the Blumenfeld; always good to hear this work - incidentally for the Left hand not right. It is a beautifully lyrical piece that like all the best single hand works doesn't sound like just one hand is playing.

alberto

I apologize for my fault. Obviously I meant "for the left hand".
I would just propose a rarer thing: an unsung orchestral piece played as an encore.
Here I would propose (at least it is the first coming to mind which I attendeed to) the "Valse triste" by Oskar Nedbal.  (by the Czech Philh. under Jiri Behlohlavek). 

Double-A

I have only ever heard amateurs play orchestral encores.

My entry into this would be Richard Wüerst "under the Balcony" for Solocello and strings.  I mentioned this already in the Richard Wüerst thread and Matesic's version (very good!) is on IMSLP for everybody to listen.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Hrm- once, with three full-sized works iirc (Debussy, Boulanger, Sibelius), no brief encore, but taking your meaning...

Double-A

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 10 August 2016, 17:56
Never been to a Prom?

I plead guilty.  There are no proms where I grew up.

Alan Howe

Never seen or heard a recording or broadcast of one?

Double-A

I plead even guiltier.  I hope this doesn't disqualify me from the forum.

eschiss1

If your computer supports this you can hear them online at the BBC website or on a smartphone by downloading the BBC iPlayer app (free).

Alan Howe

Double-A

Last time I checked BBC iPlayer didn't work outside the UK.  I was in Switzerland at the time and would dearly have loved to have it since my wife does not understand French or German TV shows.

eschiss1

The app (and I think still the website) work in the US (I think. They work for me, anyway). Don't know about the European Union, though...