Vladigerov String Quartet Op34

Started by Martin Eastick, Tuesday 16 August 2016, 10:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

For those here interested, I have just noticed this new release by the Amea Quartet of Pancho Vladigerov's Op34 String Quartet (coupled with Goleminov's 3rd - perhaps outside this site's remit but not too distasteful according to the soundbites....!)www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/marin-goleminov-amea-quartet-bulgarische-streichquartette/hnum/4251466

MartinH

Poor Vladigerov! The CPO disk of orchestral music is simply brilliant - throroughly enjoyable start to finish. There are two other cds I have, one of piano music the other of small chamber works. What a composer! And yes, I think he deserves to be on this site. True, he's more contemporary, but his musical language is 100 years old, at least. What's really sad is that Balkanton recorded a huge amount of his music that was released on several large sets of LPs years ago - none of it has appeared on cd. I know someone who owns the LPs - maybe it's time to start the LP to CD transfer.

Alan Howe

Just to be clear: some of Vladigerov's music fits here, but some doesn't. We'll have to approach him on a case by case basis.

minacciosa

Mark Thomas

Sorry, but no. It's what makes UC unique and why most of us are here. The internet isn't short of other places to discuss music of all sorts of styles.

Alan Howe

UC's remit is already extremely wide. If we extend it, there'll be others who want to push the boundary even further into music in which Mark and I have absolutely no interest.

There are, of course, two possible courses of action for those whose interests lie beyond ours:
1. Enter the debates conducted elsewhere on the web. They're easy enough to find.
2. Set up your own website and invite debate there.

minacciosa

You're of course right. While I have learned and heard some very valuable things, most of what's discussed here now is not in my primary sphere of interest. I am surprised to see any Vladigerov here any more.

Alan Howe

Your presence here is, of course, immensely valuable to us. We hope you'll still feel able to join in when/if appropriate.

minacciosa

I will; as I said, I've learned a boatload of invaluable stuff from everyone here. I just feel a bit constricted at times.

Herbert Pauls

" maybe it's time to start the LP to CD transfer"

Yes! I have wanted to hear what is on those LPs for ages, and I am sure there are many others who have felt the same way. We would be most grateful.